Tuberculosis on the Run!!

Hello everyone and welcome back to another exciting blog post! As this school year is coming to end, so is another project…in the past few weeks, I have been working on a comic book that shows the interaction between the tuberculosis (TB) bacteria and the body. Below are my thoughts on this project, as well as my final project (a comic book). I hope you enjoy!

Driving Question: How do cells and diseases interact?

Answer: I explained this in my comic book by showing how the neutrophils cells fight off the tuberculosis bacteria as well as how the bacteria evade the neutrophils blood cells.

Milestone 1 started this project because we laid down all of our ideas. We put down questions that we had about bacteria, the project, or really anything that had to do with this project. We also wrote down what we already knew. 

Here’s my MindMap:

Milestone 2 and 3 weren’t that important, so I will mostly just talk about Milestone 4. Here, we had to put down all of our ideas into a basic story board. We had to make sure that we used at least 10 key scientific words and that we included accurate scientific information. The drawing didn’t have to be on Van Gogh level, but it had to be good enough that you could understand what was going on. And thank goodness it didn’t have to be amazing art because…well…my story board art needed a little bit of TLC.

Milestone 5 was where we had to make the final (good) copy of our comic book. I feel like mine turned out pretty well (definitely not Van Gogh level of art), but still, I like how mine turned out. I feel like I could have done a better job using backgrounds (because I didn’t really have any). However, I really did enjoy making my final comic.

Scimatics comic

Curricular Competencies:

Questioning and predicting:

Overall, I think I did quite well on this. Even though I was partnered with my best friends (Makenna and Brooke), I still got all of my work done early. I also think working with them was good because they weren’t afraid to tell me if things didn’t make sense in my comic or if something needed to be changed.

Scientific communication:

I did well on this competency because I used all of my vocabulary correctly and I had more then 10 key scientific words spread throughout my comic. I also think that I used my vocabulary in an interesting way that engaged the viewer but also taught them about how tuberculosis bacteria and cells interact.

Evaluating:

Throughout my story, all of the characters interact in a scientific way. I also integrated two diagrams into my story in a cool way. One of them was a diagram of what the tuberculosis bacteria looks like and the other one was of the lymphatic system.

Anyhow, thank you for sticking with me throughout this long post. I hope you found my project interesting and I hope you like my final project! If you have any questions about anything that I did, please feel free to comment!

Best wishes,

-Dana

P.S. I hope everyone has a good summer!

P.P.S. You’d think I would be better at this by now, but I couldn’t figure out how to add my final comic in properly so I just added in a PDF (sorry!)