DꓯNIƎꓶ WIꓛꓘSꓕONƎ

AlgeBros

Our latest math assignment was a partner project where we were focusing on Algebra, more specifically, Algebra Tiles. Our job was to create a game that featured algebra tiles and required players to practice their algebra skills. I partnered up with Marshall and we got brainstorming on what direction we wanted to head with our game. 

Our first idea wasn’t great, there were quite a few faults with it so we decided to scratch it and come up with something different. Our second try was much better and the our game was now more well though out and could be played more smoothly. The next thing we needed to do was come up with a way of personalizing the game. With some inspiration from the teacher, we settled on the name Alge-bros, and Marshall quickly had the bright idea of theming the game around Super Mario Bros. 

From then on we were filming and once we finished with that, I put it all together and edited the video. Although we did hand in the project late, I’m definitely proud of me and Marshall’s game and I have learned a lot from this unit. I thought creatively and with curiosity and wonder when exploring problems when trying to come up with an idea for our game. It was pretty difficult brainstorming an idea as to how our game would be played and ultimately it was me and Marshall’s Imagination that allowed our game to be created. I connected mathematical concepts with each other, other areas, and personal interests as we connected our game to something outside of math we enjoy, Super Mario Bros, and it brought another engaging element to our end product. Instead of being defeated after struggling to create a set of rules for our game, we solved problems with persistence and a positive disposition and ended up with something better than our original plans. We came close to giving up as there were some rough patches, but we held strong and persisted knowing that everything always ends up fine no matter how much you worry. And lastly, through the use of modelling expressions with algebra tiles in our lessons and in our game, I was able to Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms.

Here is a mind map I created at the beginning of this unit, next to one I created after this unit, showing what I have learned.

danielw • January 13, 2019