DꓯNIƎꓶ WIꓛꓘSꓕONƎ

Glaciers & Graphs

In the weeks leading up to Spring Break, our time in Scimatics class was taken up by our project all about linear equations. Tasked with answering the driving question; how can we use linear equations to predict how a body of water will change over time, me and Logan partnered up and got to work. This project was set to be a short one, with a time span of only a couple weeks. 

Unfortunately, these couple weeks were among the busiest of my life, I was only on class for 2 days out of the 2 weeks we had to work and complete the project. Thankfully, Logan was an amazing partner and caught me up to speed on the first out of my two in-class days. The workload for this project was relatively limited, and it didn’t take a super long time for us to achieve our final product. Overall I’m super happy with the way this project went and I’m quite impressed that we managed to pull it off with all the complications and schedule issues. This project has helped to set me up for our current project in which we are building on our linear equation skills.

Over the course of this project I used 4 curricular competencies…

I built upon my skills to develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through play, story, inquiry, and problem solving by using my mathematical learnings and knowledge to inquire, create and solve a problem relating to a body of water that intrigued me and my partner.

I explained and justified mathematical ideas and decisions in many ways by reviewing and retracing my steps after completing an equation/statement to make sure it is correct before moving on.

Me and my partner connected mathematical concepts with each other, other areas, and personal interests by referring to our own minds for choosing a body of water instead of researching popular ones. We chose one we had visited and were intrigued by and thought it would make for a good project.

I reflected on mathematical thinking by going over the mathematical concepts I learned after finishing the project. This helps me to make sure that the work I did made sense and was correct, as well as engraining the concepts in my head so I don’t forget them later on.

My Project End Mind Map

danielw • April 7, 2019