Revolutions On Trial Summative Post

Introduction

Hello there, this is yet another summative post from my humanities course. This is my second last project as we have already jumped into the learning of our new project based on poetry. This project was focused on past revolutions like the French, American and Xinhai revolutions that have all had major impacts on the world we live in now. I also learned about writing, specifically I learned about writing essays and multi paragraph responses. 

Project Work and Learning

Our main focus of this project was on the revolutions of the past like the ones I mentioned earlier. This project’s final product was incorporated with the annual PLP winter exhibition where all grades of PLP create exhibits of what project they are currently working on. Our exhibit was a mock trial. The trial was to determine the effectiveness of the revolution, the defense was arguing it was effective and the prosecution was arguing that the revolution was ineffective. The revolution was a great representation of the learning we had done throughout the project but there was a lot more done throughout the project than just preparing for a mock trial. For example, in the first couple weeks of the project we did a novel study on the book “Animal Farm by George Orwell”. We connected the revolution in the book to the Crane Brinton revolution theory diagram. After we did a few weeks of learning about how revolutions work and studying Animal Farm we were tasked with writing a Multi Paragraph Response. At first I wrote my response more like an essay which then turned into a multi paragraph response. This assignment was great for me. I did some great work but I also received some great feedback on how to further improve my writing. Our writing work quickly led to researching our revolutions which is where we caught a bit of a snag because our revolution which was the Xinhai revolution of 1911 does not have much information. We had to find a witness for our trial and that was quite difficult as well. Our witness had to have some journal entries or some sort of evidence that we could use in the line of questioning. In the end it was all sorted out and on the night of the exhibition I was a very busy person. To start the night off I had to play the role of court clerk for another group’s revolution. Then I had to be a witness for someone else and after that I was in the back room with my team rehearsing going over our scripts. For my group I was a lawyer, specifically I gave the opening statements for my team to prove the revolution was successful. The trial went on and we interviewed our witness and cross examined the other team’s witness. To decide whether the revolution was successful or not the audience was given cards to show guilty or not guilty. Once both teams had given their closing statements our audience voted and landed on the decision of not guilty meaning our team won the trial. Over all this was such an awesome project to participate in. I learned a lot from it. This was a great project to really close off my time with PLP and end on a high note. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed this summative post.

Click here for the YouTube video for my group. The end of the recording cut off but I explained it in my earlier paragraph.

Be the first to comment on "Revolutions On Trial Summative Post"