Sounds of Silence

Yesterday was our last official day for students to be at school during the  2013/2014 school year. It passed rather quietly. The halls of the school were dark and silent, as they are today.

Elementary schools are not very interesting when there are no students or staff. There are still a number of jobs that need to get done, but many of the jobs cannot be completed until we have staff around.

I have been very reluctant to write any blogs this week. I was not really able to get my head around how to write about the strike, so I have remained silent.

I found the mindset to write today.

During any strike action, principals and vice-principals in North Vancouver schools still report to work. The buildings are quiet and empty, but we manage to keep ourselves busy.

Tgarden June 26hese past few days we have assisted with the articulation of High School exams. Mrs. McGuire (vice-principal) is working with other administrators today marking those exams.

Watering the courtyard has been a welcome distraction. The garden and other new plants seem to be doing well. I enjoyed the raspberries and strawberries that have grown so far.

The highlight of the week was most definitely the Grade 7 Farewell at St. Catherine’s Church. It was so wonderful to see our grade 7s again, as well as the grade 6 students who helped with serving at the social after the Farewell ceremony. Thanks to all the adults who helped make the Farewell a special event.

There is still some work to do. I will be posting some information to the web site soon about school supplies, and I have a newsletter to write.

If we do not cross paths prior to the end of June, have a wonderful summer.

Take care