Lit Circles

I have been asked this month to work with grade 7’s and take a couple of groups for their literature circles. All the grade 7’s were given an opportunity to select one of 13 books that they could read and were then put small groups. My groups are reading Touching Spirit Bear (by Ben Mikaelsen) and 33 Minutes (by Todd Hasak-Lowy). The novels all connect to the current unit of inquiry in grade 7 (central idea: being conscious of the influences on our identity affects our choices).

Each time we meet, the students come prepared to discuss a passage or quote in the story that spoke to them. All the students came today ready to talk, and we were able to ensure that everyone had a chance to share their connections and express themselves to their peers. After our meeting, the students take time to individually reflect on the group discussion through writing, where they are encouraged to share their personal thoughts about the discussion, the characters and/or the story.

I look forward to hearing more from each of the grade 7’s. Their thoughts and opinions are worth waiting for.

Take care