Time vs Money

Hello everyone and welcome back to another blog post. Recently, in Scimatics, we have been working on a project called Time is Money. In this project we had to make a business and calculate the time it took to run it and how much money we would make. I really enjoyed this project because I feel like I got real world experience by selling my product to real people. I also really think that I made a lot of progress on my math skills. Throughout this post I will be taking you on the journey of making and calculating this business.

Driving question: How can we predict our finances for the future?

Answer: We can predict our finances for the future by gather data and graphing the equation “y = mx + b”

The Process

Our first Milestone was picking what we wanted to do as a business. This needed to be something we could sell like a service or a product and had access to the resources needed to make it come to life. I picked washing cars, as I can get all the resources and I thought it’d be simple to manage.

After that we did lots of building knowledge. I did lots of work sheets and workbooks and read lots of textbooks that would later help me understand how to properly graph and chart my business in a way that I could accurately predict my business‘s profit.

The next milestone, we started working on the equation for our businesses. This equation will let me see many things about my business like how much money I would make in a year how much my business costs were and how much time it would take me to make back my starting costs. Below you can check out the equation that my business was based around:

To finalize all of my building knowledge I did Khan Academy quizzes and the final unit test. I think this was a really good way for me to test all of my final knowledge that I gain from this project. After seeing how well I did on all of the questions on the test I was confident that I could finish this project with a solid insufficient understanding of the equation y = mx + b.

Finally I worked on my final graphs it would be in my final video. I have in my equation from earlier I was able to determine my starting cost how much time will it take me to me back my starting cost and how much I would make in a year and how much money I would make in 10 minutes. You can check out my graphs below:

To finish this project, and do a quick summary, we made a video. You can see the video I made below:

Curricular Competencies

Understanding and solving

I demonstrated this project pretty well, I knew how to use the program we made our graph in and what I needed to input. I also easily completed the workbooks.

Communicating and representing

I didn’t do very well in this competency, I didn’t represent my data in the clearest way. However, I did help my classmates and communicate how I did and how they could use their data in their equations.

Connecting and reflecting

I think I did okay on this competency. I know what we did and how the process helped us complete our final product. I understand all that we did and how it helped us.

Overall, this project was super cool and a fun way to start graphing. I enjoyed using the Desmos program to make our graphs and how we attached it to outside life.