Avatar Exhibition

Winter Exhibition

Good morning, afternoon or evening! I’ve just come from PLP’s 2022 Winter Exhibition. (It was actually like 3 weeks ago, it’s 2023 now). I am super exited to be reviewing this Exhibition as there was a really cool theme. James Cameron’s world of Avatar.

The project we did that was paired with this exhibition was of course our Ology of Apology project, where we looked at apologies and memorials for (arguably) unjust events in Canadian history. My group and I made a memorial for thousands of Chines immigrants that struggled and died during the Chinese Head Tax. Each room in our section of the school had a theme, to pair it to the Avatar movies. Our room was Corprate greed, so we tried to form our memorial with that idea in mind. In these individually themed rooms, where a group or two of grade tens and a handful of grade 8’s and 9’s that where showcasing their projects and linking with our theme in a sense closer to the movies.

I have a lot more details about the project we did in this post: Ology of Apology

Throughout the exhibition I was able to use my communication skills to present the message of the memorial to an audience. I think this experience allowed myself to be more comfortable in expanding my ideas throughout a meaningful conversation. In relation to this I also experienced some positive and intriguing comments from the audience. I got to have some really interesting conversations with parents, teachers, peers and even one of my Elementary school teachers!

In conclusion there was a driving question to this exhibition “What does James Cameron’s fantasy world of “Avatar” reveal about our own society?”. James Camerons’s Fantasy world of “Avatar” shows the different layers of disruption and racism within our society. This disruption, in more detail, is the lack of care for the environment. This is shown in Avatar through the rush of the human destroying anything and anyone just to get money, proving that our society is focused on greed and superiority instead of peace.

Thanks for stoping buy, Declan.