My User Manual – a reflection

How do I creatively communicate who I am?

In this project I did a user manual and a customized Memoji laptop. In the first paragraph I will be talking about the user manual and the in the second paragraph I will be talking about the Memoji laptop

User Guide: Waite 

Brand: PLP Student, Dancer, Skier 

Model: Ella Waite, iOS 1.3

PRODUCT GUIDE📄

Congrats on your new device! Ella is a great friend and can’t wait to get to know you! Some of Ella’s best functions include: 

• Being kind to everyone she meets
  • Over excitement about anything Harry Styles 
  • Dancing everywhere she goes 
  • Being very positive about mostly everything 
  • Good life hack knowledge 
  • Being Nerdy 

GETTING STARTED ✅

Before you approach Ella bring snacks. This provides the best chance of a happy and not hangry Ella, plus it will put you on her good side. Some snacks you should take extra consideration for are mango smoothies, popcorn twists, sour patch kids, and coconut water. 

ACCESSIBILITY 🛠

If you want to approach Ella just do so! She is kind and loves to talk. If she isn’t responding that means she is in setting four and doesn’t want to be bothered, but just give her a minute and she will give you her full attention. 

After school you can reach Ella via her phone number. She is also a user of Snapchat and instagram where you can additionally reach her. There is also email. A method of communication I do not recommend. Responses via email can take up to two days or two weeks (tech support is working on this glitch and hopefully in iOS 1.4 it gets better). 

SETTINGS ⚙️

Ella has three primary settings: regular person, student and dancer. Though setting four can sometimes come, but it is uncommon for this to happen 

Setting 1: Regular Ella 👩🏼

Setting one is Ella’s most common mode that you will most usually interact with. She will be energetic and outgoing but not too much. She will still talk at an Ella sized amount. In setting one Ella will be polite and kind though things can turn around quickly if cleaning bedrooms or vacuuming is mentioned. Ella is most fun to be around at this time and she is going to be very chill and easygoing.

Setting 2: Student 👩🏼‍💻

This mode is most common from 9:30-3:00 (aka school hours). Though this setting does turn on at home while doing homework Ella will be very focused at this time and it will be hard to snatch her attention. She may come off as rude as she is trying to focus and doesn’t want to talk. Setting three and setting two tend to intertwine. Ella tends to be most nerdy at this time and gets very enthusiastic over anything WW2 and historical fiction.  

Setting 3: Dancer/Athlete 🩰

This setting is standard for most days after school. Ella wont respond to any messages during the time that she is on this setting. Ella does many different styles of dance at this time. The styles she most commonly does are ballet, lyrical, and jazz though she may also be doing contemporary, tap, or stage. She additionally does a weekly jazz conditioning class. After this setting Ella usually comes home, takes a shower and goes to bed. 

Setting 4: Crazy Talking Crackhead Hour (CTCH) 🤪

This setting is most common when with friends, sisters or cousins. If Ella starts talking uncontrollably snap her out of it and she should return to setting one. Ella tends to be most gossipy at this time and Harry Styles will be playing. She could start to go on about all the new trends and clothes will be mentioned at this time 

WARNINGS ⚠️

• She may talk A LOT 
  • Try to organize your phone 
  • Become stressed when too many people come to her at one time 
  • Be very irritated by the sound of any joints cracking. That is her breaking point and she will do anything to get you to stop 
  • Try and find out all the gossip at school 
  • She will always try and lift your spirits. Unless you are being purposefully negative, then she will not be happy with you
  • Will try to get you to do a workout or eat healthy food 

TROUBLESHOOTING ❓❔

Problem Solution 
Ella is speaking to someone else and you cannot grab her attention. Tap her on the shoulder or just yell at her. Ella  can sometimes just zone out and totally forgets that somebody else is talking to her. (Tech support is working on this)
Ella is talking to much in class and you want her and yourself to focus on the task at hand.  Whisper to her to be quiet. Ella is trying to control her talking in class problems and would love your help.

TIPS TO MAINTAIN OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE 

• Fuel with Starbucks, smoothies and poke bowls 
  • Always be kind to others 
  • Snap her out of setting 4 
  • When she’s having a conversation with you talk a lot too! Ella likes to know about you too!
  • If she says something you don’t agree/like tell her. She would like to know that for next time
  • Laugh at her jokes. They are mostly bad but it’s awkward when you don’t laugh

As my first PLP project, this project was fun and challenging at the same time. It was really interesting to learn how to communicate yourself to others, but in the third party. Telling people about yourself as if you were a device. I thought that it was going to be really challenging to talk about myself like in that way, but it actually turned out to be quite easy and enjoyable.

I loved writing the settings because it shows people all the different sides to me and things that people may not know about me. Especially if I am not super close to them, then the user manual is a way to get to know all about me without being best friends. Which is great for me because I came to PLP knowing no one. If I could do the user manual again I would’ve added more to my troubleshooting and getting started by making it more specific to myself. I rushed a little on those parts but now I know to spend equal amounts of time and effort even if your not as interested in those parts of the project. Overall the user manual was a great first project to not only get accustomed to project based learning, but also the other students in PLP.

The Memoji laptop was my favourite part of this project because I could not only express myself with words, I could express myself with colours, pictures, drawings, and stickers. Each sticker represents a different part of me. The British Columbia sticker represents my province, BC. The pointe shoes and music note represent my love of music and dance. The skis and mountain represent one of my favourite places in the world,Whistler Blackcomb, where I ski in the winter. The open book sticker embodies my love of reading. The good vibes and butterfly stickers symbolizes hope and happiness as that is what they represent. You may be thinking that I have too many stickers or that my laptop looks cluttered and let me tell you, I had a good amount of people tell me that. Though I liked the way they looked so I didn’t remove any stickers because they all portray me. One of the coolest parts about stickerizing this laptop was learning how to do it. We used google and our own drawings to find stickers for the laptop, then we dragged the images into keynote, used instant alpha to crop out parts we didn’t like, added borders and shadows and then organized then onto the laptop. If I could do this part of the project again I would’ve made more of the stickers my own drawings. I chose to use mostly stickers because I thought they looked nicer than my drawings. The watermelon sticker was my own but all the others were from google and I feel that if i had just done that. It would’ve made it not only more customized to myself but also i would be more proud of it.

I learned how to creatively communicate who I am through text, stickers, colours, feelings, pictures, drawings, objects, emojis and Memojis

Au Revoir 👋🏻