Laser Laws: Summative reflection

We are halfway done school for the 2020-21 school year! Yet another project to check off the list. *sigh of relief*. This project was interesting and tbh it was hard. Though that was all because I had never learned about the Pythagorean theorem or law of reflection before, so this was all new to me. Nevertheless I still had fun. Though unfortunately this is the end to quarter 2. Which means no more scimatics until May 🙁 

Driving Question: How can we test the Pythagorean theorem and law of reflection?

We tested the Pythagorean theorem and law of reflection by creating a right angle triangle using lasers, rulers, mirrors, and protractors. We then reflected the lasers off the mirrors to form a right angle triangle (aka: the law of reflection). After that we used the Pythagorean theorem to find the hypotenuse of the triangle. That is how we tested the Pythagorean theorem and law of reflection.

Evidence of learning: 

Final project

Core Competencies: 

Communicating and Representing: How can I represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms?

I demonstrated an outstanding representation and understanding with this competency. To demonstrate this competency I made a right angle triangle with the Pythagorean theorem and law of reflection using an online simulation. To show my work I used the scientific method. I completed all the steps of the scientific method and added more steps. I had a well written conclusion that included everything. I also had precise measurements of the triangle 

Questioning and Predicting: How can I demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic?

I demonstrated a complete understanding of this competency by using all my class time efficiently. I worked without any distractions and I stayed on task. Of course there was the occasional talking to my friends or getting off topic, but overall my class time was used well. By using my time wisely I was able to make an amazing laser display. 

Applying and Innovating: How can I co-operatively design projects?

I demonstrated an outstanding understanding of this competency. I showed my understanding by creating a real-life laser triangle with my group. We made two triangles; one right angle and one acute angle. Our project was correctly planned, measured, and labeled. Every measurement was included and the whole project was planned very well. All my group members contributed equally to the project and we all included our own thoughts and ideas. 

Overall this project was fun and it was really cool to learn about the Pythagorean theorem and law of reflection.

Bye 👋🏻