A Chemical Affair

pastedGraphic.png

Hi people welcome back to another post and the first of the New Year. I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and a great New Year. In this post I will be taking you back in time to a couple weeks ago. A time of stress for all PLP students, you’ve probably already guessed, the Winter Exhibition!

If you are a new reader, PLP has to yearly exhibitions. One in December and one in June so if you missed this one it’s ok. I hope you’re able to attend the one in June. If you would like to see my first two exhibitions, click here and here.

Last year both exhibition’s used an inquiry question as the main topic. This year we combined science and humanities to make something different.

As always we were first put into groups. The group making started in science with our chemistry unit. In my science group it was just Alex and I.

In science we were tasked to make a video about chemical bonding. This animation had to have a few things. First we had to write a screenplay, which is a script that includes acting instructions and scene directions. For me the challenge was animating the video, as animating in keynote isn’t the easiest.

Once we had made this chemical stories we were put into bigger groups based on our story’s plot. In this new group it was Kiera, Taylor, Alex and I.

The idea for this exhibition was to combine our two chemistry story’s together to create one big chapter. Then turn it into an immersive experience that shows an entire story in just one room. Also it had to incorporate chemical bonding into our room as well.

The first thing we had to do was combine our two stories into an amazing tale that would entice readers until the end. The thing we struggled with at this part was  incorporating the science side of things. But after much discussion with Mr. Gross our science teacher we final had something.

For our story we decided to combine a murder mystery and a romance together. Our plot was:

Ona Ozone (Kiera) has gone missing. It is up to you and Detective Ospino (Alex) to find and return Pho Phosphorus’s (Me) lost love. To help guide you along the path video clues have been placed around the room. Good luck detective. For those of you who weren’t at the exhibition Ali Aluminum (Taylor) is the kidnapper.

pastedGraphic_1.png

But before we get to the room we are going to have to rewind to planning stage. 

In my opinion this group was galloping along at a pretty good pace we were on a plan that would see us ready for the exhibition. But on the day of the horse ran out of speed. This was not unpredictable as most people act different as stress mounts. My group had to stop and talk thing out before we could continue on our way.

The aspects of our room

Food: Part of every PLP exhibition, food plays an important role in setting the plot and scene of the story. For our room we decided to make cookies and brownies from “Ali’s bakery”. 

pastedGraphic_2.png

The cookie batter

pastedGraphic_3.png

Cookies awaiting the oven

Mood: Mood is an important part of any immersive experience. To set mood we used candles and lamps for lighting and creepy music.

pastedGraphic_4.png

Pho’s desk

Decor: Decoration are easily one of the biggest things needed to create an immersive experience. 

The Cage!: That’s not a typo people. Kiera had to sit in a dog cage the entire night to show that she was kidnapped. 

Pictures from the night of

Overall the exhibition was in my opinion far better then both of last years ones. The reason is because I like working in groups as I am a very social person and like having other people to bounce ideas off. 

With everything take in into account I learn a lot from this exhibition. From animation to decoration, storytelling story writing and so much more.

I really enjoyed this exhibition and if you weren’t there I hope to see you at the one in June. 

👋 👋 

-Em

2 thoughts on “A Chemical Affair

• Hi damaris,
      Thank you for the compliment. The video was made using keynote. (which is apples version of PowerPoint) we used the feature magic move which allowed us to move the figures around.
      If you have anymore questions just let me know.
      -Emerson