Hello dear readers I’m back with another blog post and this one is about the Star Wars galaxy. So every year PLP has two exhibitions. One in December and one at the end of the year in June. So being in grade 8 this was my first exhibition. Every exhibition there is a new topic, as you might of guessed this one was Star Wars.
So as it turns out there is a tested step by step process to follow when making these exhibits. It is called the inquiry star.
The star is a very easy way to understand the process that you must go through to come up with an amazing exhibit. So here we go.
The first thing we did was learn more about exhibitions because we had never done them before. After we knew all there was we started making a list of open ended questions that we had about Star Wars.
Here are all the questions that I came up with. The next step was to narrow it down to the three that we liked the best. My three favourites were numbers 3,4,and 7. Then we had to submit our three favourites into Showbie. As you can probably tell right now it was a very gruelling process. Anyways the next step in this part was to get feedback from our teachers. Ms. Maxwell my teacher said that number three was the closest one to what they wanted. My final question was, What aspects of the force are nature and what are nurture?
The final step was to fill out a project pitch form. What it was, was a bunch of questions that we had to answer.
So this was my project pitch. The reason why it wasn’t filled out all the way is because I didn’t really know what we were doing just yet.
The next step was to investigate my question. To do this I researched the long standing argument about nature vs nurture and I learned that it’s not just nature or nurture, its really nature and nurture.
As you can see here I found a ted talk on nature vs nurture and it gave milk for its example.
Now it was time for construction. To start this step we had to fill out a what do they see sheet which was basically what someone would see the day of the exhibition.
So this is my exhibition construction and from there we went right into building our project for the exhibition.
Now me being a procrastinator I left it to the night before which was the worst idea I ever had. So three days before the exhibition when we were supposed to bring in our projects for a critique my project looked like….
I know, I know it’s possibly the worst piece of work I’ve ever done but lucky for me it was not the day of the exhibition because if it had been Mrs Willemse and Ms. Maxwell would not have let me present my project. Good thing this was a critique because I needed to make drastic improvements to my project.
So the main critique I got was to much white space. Which I already knew but it was still great critique.
Now for the makeover I had less then 72 hours to turn this train wreck into a presentable project. So I basically learned nothing from earlier and I pretty much left everything to the last night again but it was ok because I already had a solid image of what it was going to look like. As well as I already had most of the information I needed.
Now on top of all of that we also had to decorate the rooms that we were using to fit the Star Wars theme and just to make things ever harder we also had to wear costumes that we had to make and guess what they had to be Star Wars themed as well.
So it was Alivia’s idea to do famous skits from the Star Wars saga every fifteen minutes so a lot of our costumes were chosen of who was acting in what skit and who the skit involved. So I decide to be Chirrut Imwe from Rogue One and Emily dressed up as Jin Erso so we decided to re-enact the scence when they first meet in the busy market.
So the night before as well as finishing my project I was also putting together my costume and of course Chirrut is not complete with out his staff so I also had to make that as well.
Now you might be wondering how I made the staff. What I did was I took a broomstick handle and wrapped it in brown duct tape and then to make the bumps on it to make it more realistic I put small balls of masking tape on the stick and then taped over it to make it more stick like.
Focusing back in on the project the deadline was getting closer and I still didn’t have a fully completed project so I had to work fast. The first thing I did was add pictures to the poster to fill up some of the white space then I redid the title so it was easier to read. Next I did some more research and added some new parts that I think really added depth to the project. So on the day of the exhibition my completed project looked like this…
So as you can see drastic improvements to everything. So what I did was I compared Anakin to Luke and then Luke to his actor Mark Hamill. I also add a bunch of photos to fill up the white space and re did the title so it looked a lot better.
Now earlier in the post I mention that we also had to decorate the room that we were presenting in.
So we decided to turn the room into the rebel base on Hoth as we were the light side and I believe that we did a pretty good job of that.
Now its time for the one thing that never changes in each post my reflection on the unit.
The first thing I can tell you right of the bat is that I HAVE to work on not procrastinating everything to the last minute. One thing that I think I did really well was the presentation it self I believe I excelled at that part of the project. Something I was surprised about was how stressful it can get. I mean, I don’t get stressed out easily so when something gets stressful its got to be stressful. Now I’m excited to do my next exhibition which in June because now I know what it’s like and I probably won’t get as freaked out as this time.
Thanks for reading -Emerson