Sharing Musical Tastes

“When words fail, music speaks” 

– Hans Christian Anderson 

Everyone has a taste in music. It might be broad, or you may just like a few songs, but it’s something we can all connect to. When our spirits are low, we can bring them up with a catchy tune. I am quite involved with music being in three bands and composing my own pieces from time to time, so I felt that this task was a great choice for this week Student Blogging Challenge. 

A Graphic By Myself

At first I wanted to list all of the types of music I enjoy, but I realized that there are so many that it would be hard to include them all. Personally, it’s not as much the genre of music but rather the message and tone behind it. I have found myself listening to classical pieces as often as I have pop songs, even though those styles are worlds apart. If it has a catchy beat, then I’ll probably like listening to it.

What are your musical tastes? Leave your answers in the comments 

Add to the Song – Interactive Task 

Here is the beginning of a song I am working on which I’m opening up to public contribution. I created it using GarageBand and iMovie, but feel free to use whatever software you are most comfortable with. Anyone is free to create the next part of this tune, as long as they follow these guidelines:

1. Don’t use your own or other people’s voice in the song

2. Make sure it fits the tone of the song

Here is how you can participate: 

1. Download my song from the video or use a screen record function to capture the audio

2. Import it into garage band or another music making program and create the next section (you can create it from scratch or build off of this imported clip)

3. Upload your song as a video or audio file and send me the link in the comments

Any appropriate submissions I will soon have up and added to the song. Make sure to leave your name so I can give you appropriate credit.