In December 2018 my class was a part of the Winter Exhibition. The Winter Exhibition was an evening where students in the PLP program set up stations about a project they have done. My class did a project all about religious worldview. For this project we had to answer the question how is religious worldview represented in the real world? We did this by making a photo documentary and a group poster.

At the beginning of this project we were just starting to learn about different religions and what they believe. After we knew some things about three different eastern religions we went on a field study to some religious sites to find out more. Our task was to take photos of things we see that represent their worldview, for example architecture and symbols. 

The first place we visited was a Hindu temple. We got to see interesting things like the many gods they believe in and how they can worship them.

The next place we visited was a Buddhist temple and the fourth place we visited was a Buddhist monastery. At both places their was a lot of gold and red everywhere. They also both had many statues of Buddha.

The third place we went was the Gurdwara. In Sikhism they believe that everyone deserves to be treated equally, that is why every Gurdwara has a soup kitchen, which was where we ate lunch.

After our field study on eastern religions we started learning about western religions. We went on another field study to visit a few more religious sites. We also had to take more photos to add to our photo documentary.

When we visited the church the first thing that stood out to me was that there were crosses everywhere. There was also lots of pictures of people like Jesus.

The next place we went was the Synagogue. I really liked the building and the way that the lights looked like the Star of David.

Finally, the last place we visited was the Mosque. I thought that it was cool how there were lines in the Mosque so when they pray they face towards Mecca.

For the photo documentary I made four drafts. Throughout the drafts I had to make sure the photos told a story and text was used a little to help contribute.

While we were working on religious worldview we were also exploring our own worldview. I have another post about my worldview which you can find here.

For the next part of this project we got put into groups and assigned one of the religions we have been studying. Our task was was to create a poster that showed the seven aspects of worldview of the religion. My group (Ciara, Emily M, Anders and Thomas) were assigned Judaism.

This was the wire frame for our poster, a rough idea of what we were think of doing. We were planning to put the aspects of worldview around the points of the Star of David.

For draft one we decided to make a timeline of events related to Judaism instead of following the wire frame. We made a road and added the events along the road. We thought this was a good idea but when we shared it with the class we found out that not all the events and pictures were relevant.

This draft was never fully completed but I think that it is the one that put us on the right track. We placed the Torah scroll on our poster and added some aspects of world view on top.

For this draft we made the whole background the tan colour of the scroll and then added little pictures to represent their worldview plus a little text to explain. 

For the final draft we tweaked little things like the text and pictures to make them look and sound better.

When the day if the exhibition arrived we spent from 1:40 – 5:00 setting up our station. We cut cheese into dreidel shapes and even made clay dreidels for an activity.

We played our photo documentaries for people to see while they visited our station.

I think that I learned so much about different religions that I knew nothing about for example in Buddhism they follow the eight fold path and Sikhs have the five K’s. I think that for the next exhibition I will think of something to say to people ahead of time instead of trying to think of things to say while people are already there.