This blog post is all about our latest Humanities project, Colonizing in a Tempest.

Everything we did in this project all leaded up to our class preforming tableaus that answer our driving question. The driving question was how can we use Shakespeare’s the Tempest and the history of New France to stage dramatic tableaus that help an audience understand the lasting effects of colonization? To me this project is not the most exciting because I do not really enjoy preforming plays and having to memorize lines. 

In class we would spend some days learning about history and others learning about the Tempest.  The thing that stood out the most about history to me was learning about trade.

When we learned about the Tempest we spent time reading the play in an app called The Tempest. We also watched the play being preformed. While we watched the play we filled out active readings about the play. I had a bit of trouble understanding the play at first but as the play went on and we practiced and rehearsed I started to understand better. 

On the night of the performance I got pretty nervous that I would forget my line but I think it turned out pretty ok. I was actually surprised with how the whole performance actually turned out pretty well.

This project was not my favourite but now I think that I understand the history and the play and I definitely learned a lot about both.