The Habits

For the past couple months we have been reading a self improvement book named The 7 Habits of a Highly effective person. This book consists of 7 ideas and rules that the author Steve Covey says you should always follow to be a more successful and effective person. The purpose of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is to help you lead your life in a truly effective way. They represent a proven process of personal and interpersonal growth that can have an immediate and lasting impact. We started this project with reading about the first few habits of 1 of three books I chose to read the teen version since I felt it applied to me the most since I’m a teen.

Habit 1

Be Proactive is about taking responsibility for your life. Proactive people recognize that they are “response-able.” They don’t blame circumstances, conditions, or conditioning for their behavior. They know they can choose their behaviour .

Habit 2
Habit 2 suggests that, in everything we do, we should begin with the end in mind. Start with a clear destination. That way, we can make sure the steps we’re taking are in the right direction.

Habit 3

Put First Things First is the exercise of independent will toward becoming principle-centered. Habit 3 is the practical fulfillment of Habits 1 and 2. Habit 1 says, “You are the creator. You are in charge.” Habit 2 is the first mental creation, based on imagination, the ability to envision what you can become. Habit 3 is the second creation, the physical creation.

For each section we had to create either an visual, audio or kinaesthetic activity that showed your learning and understanding of each section of habits, for this section I chose to make a visual example

This graphics represents how if you make promises to keep at your goals it’ll become a habit and you’ll eventually reach your goals. By writing down your goals and keeping track of how you are doing you can hold yourself countable and complete faster and more effectively.

Around this time we also had to make a personal mission statement table, which was basically a statement that you would always try to follow and overall help you in the long run. My personal mission statement was to continue to work hard, live a balanced life and pursue my goals.

How do the people at my table relate to my mission statement? I chose to have 5 different people at my table Kobe Bryant, Jimmy Butler, Martin Luther King Jr, Muhammad Ali, and finally Steve Jobs. I decided to chose these people due to the fact that they have one thing in common they never gave up and worked hard to pursue their goals. For example Kobe was in the gym more than anyone and he didn’t let anyone work more than him because he had his goal of going pro. Jimmy butler didn’t let anyone hold him back he had nothing but that didn’t stop him from working hard to achieve his dreams

Next was the public victory

Habit 4

Habit four is all about creating a win-win situation. Covey describes the significance of a win-win situation which leads to mutual benefit because if one side gets the edge over the other, then it creates a win-lose situation that is good for one side but bad for the other

Habit 5

Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood is the habit of listening to other people’s ideas and feelings. It’s trying to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. It’s about being confident in voicing your ideas.

Habit 6

To put it simply, synergy means “two heads are better than one.” Synergize is the habit of creative cooperation. It is teamwork, open-mindedness, and the adventure of finding new solutions to old problems. But it doesn’t happen on its own. It’s a process, and through that process, people bring all their personal experience and expertise to the table.

My activity for this section was another visual activity

Right now I’m one of the older guys in my basketball training since the training is grade 8, grade 9 and grade 10. The younger guys aren’t the best and I noticed they feel nervous and don’t talk to other guys that much. I’ve been in the same situation playing on the senior team full of grade 11s 12s, I’m always the youngest guy on the court I used to feel the same way. So now I try to talk to and help the younger guys in the training. This is an example of habit 5 and being in others shoes.

Finally, we looked into the final habit that ties all the habits together.. Habit 7

Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw

This seventh habit is all about enhancing yourself through the four dimensions of renewal: Physical: Exercise, nutrition, and stress management.

To represent this habit I decided to create a keynote shape visual piece

As we worked on the renewal aspect of our seven habits I noticed that my four dimensions of renewal were not even. My physical aspect was much more than the others and I realized that I need to work on the other aspects some more, and now I’m going to focus on improving mental, spiritual, social and emotional.

For the final part of this project we had to finalize our learning with 3 last activities, we had to make one of each type of activities for each competency. For thinking, I chose to represent Habits 1, 2 and 5 by creating a keynote slide using keynote shapes that showed a ladder showing my goals as you go up the ladder.

For the communication competency I showed Habit 4 by showing a basketball clip from a specific game

Video

In this basketball clip I did not play that well but I learnt from what I did well and mistakes I made and I also communicated with the team on how we could improve on. I made this situation into a win-win for the team as we may not of of had the best performance but we learnt from the game

Finally I showed my personal and social competency as well as habits 6, 3 and 7 by creating a playlist of songs that make me want to put first things first, synergize and sharpen the saw and just get up and get stuff done. I’ll chose songs that motivate me to renew myself and make me want to get first things first done.

Overall in this project I learnt alot of different things from habits I need to change or improve to how to become an overall more efficient and effective person in society