This post is about my PLP start wars 2019 mini-blue sky project.

The Winter Exhibition

Every year in PLP we do a thing called The Winter Exhibition. The Winter Exhibition is an Exhibition that all the PLP classes do, we get to show our projects to many people. I’m in grade 8 so it was my first year doing it and it was amazing! I really enjoyed that I got to show my learning and every step it took to achieve my goal. My goal was my project.

The 2019 theme was Star Wars and even though I’m not a huge fan I really enjoyed it. For my project I created a video and in the video I attempted at making a real life setting look like a completely different planet. My How Might We question was how might we use a real life location to make a planet. In the Star Wars movies they take real places on earth and transform them into a whole other world. I was very fascinated by this which was why I decided to make my project about it. I was on planet Hoth.

This is a picture from planet Hoth. Indi is standing next to me. This is a link to indi’s blog

I decided that my project was going to be a video of me trying to make a different planet. That was my goal and I went through a lot of steps to get there. This is when I got to make my LAUNCH portfolio documenting all of my steps.

My launch portfolio!

The L phase

In the L phase L stood for look listen and learn. In this phase we basically got to look, listen and learn. We made a MindNode brainstorming all of our ideas for our projects. After brainstorming we completed a How Might We form with our main idea.

The L phase!

The A phase

In the A phase we got to ask tons of questions. We got to make a need to know chart with all of our need to knows on it and we completed another sheet with our inquiry question on it.

The A phase!

The U phase

The U phase was understanding the problem or process. We got to research! We got to look up on Wikipedia any questions we had and we got to read online articles.

The U phase!

The N phase

N was for navigate ideas. For this part we got to make a short video and explain where we thought we were in the project and how long we think it might take us to finish.

The N phase!

The C phase

Create a prototype. Well for this we got to create a prototype. My prototype was a picture I drew to help me figure out how I was going to execute the project.

The C phase!

The H phase

Highlight and fix. This was definitely my favourite stage because for this we got to fail. Well we got to show evidence of failure because failing is only a first attempt at learning. For my evidence I put together a mini video of a few clips of me messing up my lines or something while filming.

The H phase!

The LAUNCH cycle was definitely a very useful and fun tool to help me with my project.

Another thing we did in this project was our Explain Everything journal. In our journal we basically just documented everything that we did along the way. The journal was very cool because it’s a good thing to look back into and it was very fun to complete. Here is mine! 

One last thing we did was in another class that we have called scimatics. We built an AT-AT and created a right angle triangle around it. This is a link to that post Scimatics.

This is my AT-AT!

Overall this project was an amazing experience that I learned a lot from and I’m super excited for next year!