We just finished a unit in scimatics called chemistry coding and this is a post all about it! In this post I will look over my work and how I felt I did with everything. I will show the curricular competencies and steps we took along the way. Our final presentation of the whole project was a scratch game. Scimatics is a PLP class that we take and it is basically math and science mixed together and the chemistry coding unit was a science unit.

My Project!

Before we get straight into everything else let me explain my final Scratch project. For my scratch project I had a small dinosaur named Tiny who takes you on an adventure home. On the adventure home you had to help Tiny avoid two atoms and a molecule on three different levels. Level one was the lithium element atom, level two was nitrogen element atom and level three was the ozone molecule. The levels were really hard and I myself found it extremely hard to get to level three. In between each level the temperature would increase and it would get hotter which made the atoms move faster.

This is Tiny!

Mind Map!

To launch this project we did a mind map! Mind maps are really fun because we get to put any of our thoughts, ideas or questions onto a map. This is really helpful because it gets all of our ideas out and on to an organized page. After looking back on it when we finished the project I am able to answer all of my questions. For example one of my questions was can matter be seen? Well we cannot see matter but matter does make up everything. After the project was done we got to go back to the same mind map and answer all the questions we had. So here are my mind maps.

This was my mind map at the start of the project!
This was my mind map at the end with all my questions answered!

Curricular Competencies!

Let’s jump straight into those core competencies! There were three core competencies for this project and they are questioning and predicting, scientific communication and reasoning and analyzing.

Questioning and Predicting!

This curricular competencie was about using all our class time efficiently for learning without any distractions. I feel I did very well with this as I am pretty good at working without getting distracted. I can work for awhile without getting distracted and I found this project really fun which made it quite hard to get off of focus.

Scientific Communication!

This curricular competencie was about having multiple different atoms or molecules, being able to see the temperature increase or decrease and how that affected the atoms movement. I feel i did this well as i had multiple different atoms or molecules and as the game went on the temperature increased making the atoms move faster. I drew my atoms and molecule myself in sketches pro and then transferred it to scratch.

Reasoning and Analyzing!

For this competencie it was about the code. We had to code our own game that in the end would work with no glitches. For my code I went to other games that others had done and looked inside to see how they did stuff for inspiration. I also ended up following some scratch tutorials to help me with things i got stuck on. I do love to code so this was a really fun project for me. I would go and test out the code after I did it multiple times to make sure it worked. When something didn’t work I would figure out what went wrong and fix it.

Overall this project was really fun and I hope we get to do another one like it in the future. I learned a lot and got to expand my knowledge so much and now I know so much more about matter and everything to do with it.