Argh Matey!

Blog post time! Argh matey was combined unit between our scimatics class and our humanities class. I really enjoyed the project being combined as I felt that the units pieced together well. Im on this amazing program at school called PLP. For this project we made a comic book. My comic book was about the explorer Bartolomeu Dias and a virus he got called measles morbillivirus. In this post I will show my comic book and all the steps it took me to get there. Let’s get into the post!

My Comic Book!

The Journey Of Bartolomeu Dias

This is my comic book that I created. For humanities we all had to chose an explorer to research about and for scimatics we had to chose a virus to research about. We had to show what the historical significance of our explorer was and how the cells and diseases interact. My explorer was Bartolomeu Dias and my virus was the measles morbillivirus. At the start of this project we watched the movie Osmosis Jones. In Osmosis Jones a policeman white blood cell and a cold pill must stop a deadly virus from destroying the human they live in, Frank. We watched Osmosis Jones to give us a small idea and help us with the project.

Scimatics!

Mind Map!

Here is my mind maps!

At the start of the unit our first assignment was to create a project start mind map in MindNode . The map had any questions we had on it and at the end we got to answer them with the knowledge we had gained. One of the questions I had was how easily does bacteria travel? The answer is bacteria can travel very easily especially through the air.

Disease Wanted Poster!

For milestone two in scimatics we made a disease wanted poster. I felt that this was one of the more bigger milestones that helped us reach the final comic book. Before we made the poster we had to decide what disease we were going to do for the whole project. I decided to do measles morbillivirus because I felt that the symptoms would be a really good way to show he has it and the symptoms would be easy to draw clearly. This is my wanted poster right here.

This is my Disease Wanted Poster!

Humanities!

For humanities we were focusing more on history. We got to learn all bout different explorers which I found very interesting. For milestone two we did a comic book analysis where we got to read a bunch of different comics. This was probably the most fun milestone and the most useful for humanities. It was very useful because we were later going to build our own comic book so reading them helped us understand and get an idea of how it would look. We learned all the different ways you can position the boxes on the page and how to speech bubble and stuff. My favourite comic book is that I read was definitely Marvel’s Captain America. I really enjoyed the action in this book and I found the story really easy to follow. After reading a comic book we had to fill out a chart. We had to describe how we saw scenes like a slow scene or an action scene in the chart.

Curricular Competencies!

Connect: How do I understand my own and others’ personal connection to texts I read, listen, and view? This competency was in almost every milestone. One example would be milestone one Osmosis Jones story spine. How could we connect to our learning! For Osmosis Jones it was definitely easier to connect now especially during this global pandemic.

Humanities!

Establish Historical Significance: How do we make choices about what is worth remembering? An example were I showed this competency would be milestone 3 explorer chart. For this milestone we had to do some research on our explorer and then complete an early explorer research chart. I showed this competency by asking questions like how did this change our world? This helped me a lot, with Bartolomeu Dias he changed our world because he was the first European to sail around the southernmost tip of Africa creating a new trade route.

Scimatics!

Communicating: Communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems, using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies. For this competency we had to show how we communicated our ideas about the virus. We would make suggestions or guesses and then research the answers and sometimes our guess was very close. When we needed to find an answer we would research and read articles.

Overall I really enjoyed this project. I loved that two of our classes were combined to create this one big project. I learned a lot about explorers, viruses and comic books. It was an amazing unit and I’m excited for the next one.