Scimatics final grade 8 blog post time! For our last unit in scimatics we did an Ultimate Road Trip unit. We got to create and plan out our own road trip. This was a really fun project that I really enjoyed. I’m sad that this is our last scimatics unit for grade 8 but I’m excited for next year. Let’s get into the post.

The last scimatics blog post of grade 8.

My Route!

Here is a list in order of all the places I stopped

– Start YVR Vancouver

– Portland Oregon 1 night

– Medford Oregon 1 night

– San Francisco 1 night

– Long Beach California 6 nights

– Grand Junction Colorado 1 night

– Omaha Nebraska 1 night

– Chicago 1 night

– End Oakville Toronto 2 nights

For my road trip I decided that I was going to travel from Vancouver to Long Beach California and then to Toronto with multiple stops on the way. My trip was 14 days and I made 10 stops. I spent 6 nights in long beach California so that I could attend a 5 day long dance convention. I drove a Chrysler 300s automatic and filled up the tank 5 times along the trip. We did a lot of math along the way so we could figure out the cost. My total cost in the end was $5,912. We made a graph with our expenses using the Desmos App. The graph along with the expenses chart and route map are all right underneath this.

My Route!
My Graph!
My Expenses!

Curricular Competencies!

Connecting and Reflecting: Connect mathematical concepts to each other and to other areas and personal interests.

For this competency I feel that I have done really well as this was basically what the project was about. We got to use math in a really fun road trip plan. For this project there was a lot of math involved we had to make sure our calculations were perfect so we knew how much money we would be spending. I found this hardest with the calculations for fuel. I had to calculate how many miles my vehicle could go without running out and then where I would have to fill up and how much that would cost.

Overall this was a really fun project I’m sad that it’s our last grade 8 scimatics unit ever but I’m excited to see what we will do in grade 9.