“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

Hi! Welcome to my tPOL post. I’m in grade 10 and a program at school called PLP. TPOL stands for transitional presentation of learning and I did something very similar to this earlier in the year called an mPOL which stands for mid year presentation of learning. TPOLs are what we do in PLP instead of parent teacher interviews, they are a 7 minute presentation directed by the student and presented to our teachers and parents.

Destination Imagination

One good example of my learning is Destination Imagination. For DI this year I was put in the biggest group and we had a pretty hard challenge. We had to build a series of obstacles in which two devices had to overcome. Along the way we found a lot of obstacles in our challenge. With being a very big group it was hard to communicate with everyone on everything. Not everyone understood the rules, people had different understandings and expectations, there was a lot of miscommunication. It was hard. We eventually got there though and found new solutions to overcome our obstacles. I think I showed my communication skills very well in this project. Communication skills haven’t always been my strongest in large groups but I think it went very well in DI.

7 habits

7 habits was a project we did a bout a book called 7 habits to become a highly effective person. The 7 habits are habits to apply to yourself that will help you improve and better yourself and life. Habit 1 be proactive, habit 2 start with the end in mind, habit 3 put first things first, habit 4 think win win, habit 5 seek first to understand than to be understood, habit 6 synergize, and habit 7 sharpen the saw. I think this project overall was so beneficial to not only me right now but also to future me. This is something that I can take on and have with me for the rest of my life that is going to benefit me everyday. It is also something that I will continuously be working on and improving on. I will never be perfect but practicing these 7 habits more and more everyday for the rest of my life will really help me as a person.

Growths

At my mpol earlier this year I said something I’ve been working hard on recently and really want improve on by the end of the year is my reading comprehension and grammar. I’ve always found reading comprehension hard and it usually takes me a couple times to read it before I fully understand it. I decided I would try to read at least one article or news story a day as I found those easier and more interesting to read than books. Since my mpol I have tried to do that and yes I haven’t done it every single day, I’ve definitely missed a few days, but I found it very helpful. I still use auto correct and I can’t always remember how to spell things but I definitely hunk it’s improved. My reading comprehension has improved and I find it’s only really hard when there’s really long texts I’ve been reading for a long time. I’ve found that reading articles is something that’s always kind of kept me interested and I’ve never really had to remind myself to read one. This is something that I’m definitely still work on and won’t just be perfect in 6 months. I will continue to work and grow my reading comprehension and spelling.

Growing

Something that I want to continue working on is my spelling. My goal for this year was to work on my reading comprehension and spelling however I definitely focused way more on reading comprehension and not really spelling at all. I was hoping that by improving my reading comprehension my spelling would just improve as well with it but it hasn’t really and that’s because I was so focused on comprehension. Now that my reading comprehension has been improving I want to improve my spelling. How am I going to improve my spelling? I was hoping that with reading more it would help with my spelling, and it has been but not by much. I think something that might help along with reading is writing more. After I read an article I’ll write a small paragraph, only a few sentences, about it. I think by writing more I will focus on my spelling more and it will help.

Evidence of my learning this year

election reflection

the bright party

think you can do better?

the Komagata Maru

Romeo and Juliet

mpol 2022

hidden chapters of WWII

destination imagination 2022

7 habits

shore to the core