An Election Reflection

Hello readers, and welcome to my first blog post of the year! 

In our first milestone of the school year, we will be looking at politics: specifically the Canadian government and the election. In Canada we live in a democracy, which gives our citizens more of a say in Canada’s decisions. We often take it for granted, but we have many rights that lots of other countries don’t have access to. For example, we have free and fair elections, human rights, and citizen participation. We also make sure 1 person does not have total power by having a parliament full of representatives to vote on issues that matter to both Canada, and your local community.

But today, we are going to focus one the upcoming election happening on September 20th 2021. This election was called by Justin Trudeau of the liberals because he hoped he could get a majority government. So why is he allowed to call one?  Well by law, he must call one every 4 years but, in our government system, he is allowed to call one anytime.  In fact, if our next prime minister wanted to, he could call one week from now. Trudeau handled the Covid 19 pandemic fairly well and debatably, thought and hoped he could get a majority at this time.  Except, he probably won’t… Based on polls, he is barely winning a race to form government entirely. The conservatives are effectively tied with the liberals only holding a slight edge on them. I believe this election is going to be a waste of time for the liberals and a waste of tax payers money as he will finish right where he started.

But before we look at the results, lets look at how our election system works. I have a little video to explain how exactly we elect our prime minister.

September 21st: These are my thoughts after watching CBC’s coverage of the election hosted by Rosemary Barton and their crew. Alright the Liberals got a minority just as I expected. So what influenced Trudeau to think he could get a majority? Well, I think his main reason was that our Covid numbers were going downhill at a fast pace and the economy was making a good comeback. This was unfortunate timing for Trudeau because as the delta variant roars, some were choked he was calling it in the middle of a pandemic. Usually an election win is great and worth a celebration, but this time, the liberals were mostly relieved. Especially shortly after the election was declared, it looked like the conservatives had a might fine chance of winning a minority themselves. But there was a hiccup for the conservatives as well, maybe one that will cause problems in future elections. The PPC. In 7 different ridings, the amount of PPC votes cost the conservatives the win to the liberals. In the past, the conservatives have been the most right government of all, but as some of those votes now go to ppc, the undecided ridings/slightly conservative ones are now being taken by Trudeau. As CBC said “a vote for the ppc is a vote for Trudeau” which I think is incredibly accurate.  None the less, this election had almost the same results as last year, with the liberals gaining 1 seat, conservatives losing 2, bloc up 2, and NDP up 1.  So whether it’s a win or a loss for the liberals, it’s safe to say this election was a waste of time and money for the liberals and Canada’s citizens.

Those were my thoughts after the election so I hope you got a little bit more info on how this election went, and how Canada’s government works. Bye Bye