Spring Exhibition

We are finally done the last project of PLP 10. Cray Cray, Yay Yay is the name of the project and we presented our work at the good ol’ Spring Exhibition. In our final project of the year, we were assigned with choosing an impact maker in our local neighbourhood. We gained some knowledge about them as well as a portrait displaying their mood, and referencing what they did to make an impact. But first, what we did to get here. 

Our inspiration and basis for this project came from the apple advertisement titled “think different”, it was all about the people who changed the world and what they did for humanity. Similar to the advertisement, we have chosen people to present about that have made an impact on the north shore, and we also have an advertisement lookalike that includes clips and photos of our local impact makers. Big thanks to Amy Sheardown for creating it and doing a great job on it. 

Throughout the project as a whole, we also watched 2 movies that we took notes on as well as made slides about how we thought the movie was going so far. I felt this was a fun side task away from the exhibition display itself but it also allowed us to get inspiration for what makes up an impact maker and what could be a good one to choose. 

We then chose a person that we felt made an impact on the community. My impact maker was Doug Querns. He is the president of the North Shore Stroke Recovery Centre and he helped survivors cope and recover after their stroke. He is also a voice for survivors as he did not lose any speech after his stroke. Another part of the exhibition was the portrait we made four our exhibition station. The goal was to display their mood, personality, interests, and the impact they made all into one piece of art whether it was a sculpture, a painting, digital art, etc. 

And that was it! We then presented our knowledge and art at the exhibition and moved on to the many blog posts due. Overall,  I thought that the project was quite valuable as we were able to research not someone from ancient Egypt, not a rich billionaire in the United States, but someone who was local community impact maker. I got to see everyone’s project and made me realize that there are impact makers all around us big or small. And to answer the driving question, I think that an impact maker is someone who makes change for the better on a larger scale, thinks outside the box, and takes on impactful roles that many others wouldn’t. 

Thank you so much for reading this post, I‘ll see you in the next one.