Marketing You

Are you in need of a kiwi? If so I’m the person for you!

This project has been about learning how to effectively market myself to employers. I have never made a resume or thought about making a business card so this was all new to me. To start we created two resumes, one with a headshot and one without. I had a hard time with the objective, and experience parts. The objective was hard because we weren’t writing this for a specific job and I think it would work better if we were. The experience part was difficult because I have never really had a job. I have babysat and…….. well thats it. In the end that’s all I had in work experience section but I found I had a few more experiences for the volunteering section. For example I went on two volunteer trips to Guatemala in elementary school and I volunteer with kids every few weeks using lots of different skills. I wasn’t a big fan of putting a picture of me in my resume but the layout in the end looked better with it. 

Next were the business cards! To start we created funny ones and mine is the one you see at the top of this post “Professional Kiwi”. Now I am not from New Zealand the only reason I used this for my business card (and for my blog) is because my last name rhymes with it and my friends think it’s hilarious. My entire class made fake fun business cards that were all very…original. In the end I made three very simple business cards that have my name and information (sadly says nothing about kiwi 🥝) .  Below you can see the front of these businesses cards.

Next was the email. This part went by fairly quick and I created a short professional email that fit the criteria and could be used as an outline for future opportunities.

The part where I really thought I grew in this project was with the final product the mock interview. My original questions my group and I came up with were surface level and didn’t show our understanding. For example one of our original questions was “can you tell us about yourself”. So we revised the questions and came up with three new ones and included us talking about a time when we struggled while working in a group and how we fixed the situation. Another aspect I’m proud of is how we filmed all the mock interviews. We used different angles and good phone cameras to make it as professional as we could.

This finished off our initial planing for future careers. I have never liked thinking about the future and I know if I wasn’t told to make a resume for a project that I would have kept delaying it for months. I like the creativity involved in this project; making business cards was an important life skill, but it was still fun.