LEGO, Cookies, and Like Terms

Your blog posts for Scimatics should include:

1) Short introduction.

2) A few pictures of the best parts of your project/where you did your best learning.

3) Write about each curricular competency from the evaluation rubric
write an example of how you used/improved/need to improve each one in a short paragraph.

The first Scimatics unit we did this year was Like Terms. We started the project by building with LEGO digitally, on a website called Mecabrics. We then moved onto creating our project ideas after learning about like terms, and polynomials for another weeks worth or so of classes. The project that Ryan, and I came up with was to make cookies.

The four Core Competencies for this project were: Applying and innovating, Understanding and Solving, Communicating and Representing, and Connecting and Reflecting.

Applying and Innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through individual or collaborative approaches. 
I used this competency by making a lego creation. I think I did well on this competency.

Understanding and solving: Apply multiple strategies to solve problems in both abstract and contextualized situations.
I used this competency by making cookies, could’ve improved as our project wasn’t very clear.

Communicating and Representing: Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms.
I used this competency by showing our ‘cookie math’ in our presentation, I believe we could have gone more into depth with our ‘cookie math’.

Connecting and Reflecting: Connect mathematical concepts to each other and to other areas and personal interests.
I used this competency by making a cookies in our final project. I believe that I could’ve improved upon this competency as I would’ve preferred to do something other than cookies.