What The Heck Was Canada Doing In Africa In 1899?

In the last Humanities unit we did before spring break, was on Louis Riel and Injustice. We started the project by writing a short essay on an event of our choice regarding the First Nations. I wrote about the findings of First Nation relics in the Yukon Ice Patches. The scientific paper i used to write this essay can be found here, its worth a read if you have the time.

We then had to read a graphic novel about Louis Reil’s life. Louis Riel was an Métis man who lived in the Red River Settlement (now present day Winnipeg) and fought for Métis rights.It was interesting to read a comic book about a man who because he was the only English speaker in the Red River Settlement, eventually started a civil war by trying to defend his rights, he later ends up getting hung for his crimes, which include: high treason, armed assault, breaking and entering and many others.Louis Riel: A Comic-Strip Biography by Chester Brown

Then we had to choose an event to research, and eventually create images about the event. My partner for this assignment was Brenton. He came up with the idea for our project, the impact of Canada’s involvement in the second Boer War, which was the Canadian Troops first overseas deployment. Before we started to create the images I got sick, and was away from school until the project was over. Full credit goes to Brenton for the images below.

• A quote from Wilfrid Laurier the seventh Prime Minister of Canada showing him trying to appease the both the English and French parts of Canada in his decision to send military support to Africa.

The two Core Competencies for this project were: Connect: How do I understand my own and others’ personal connection to texts I read, listen, and view? And Understand Ethical Dimensions: How do we decide if the actions and decisions of the past were fair or unjust, or should or should not have been taken?

Connect: How do I understand my own and others’ personal connection to texts I read, listen, and view?I used this competency by writing an short essay about the findings of old First Nations relics in arctic ice patches. I could’ve improved this competency by reading more information the topic instead of reading one  scientific paper on the topic.

Understand Ethical Dimensions: How do we decide if the actions and decisions of the past were fair or unjust, or should or should not have been taken? 
I used this competency by researching the history of the Boer wars, and the people involved. I think I did a pretty good job at this competency as I researched this topic extensively and compiled the information I found in a document. What I could’ve improved upon was the citing of my sources in the MLA format.

-Finn