🕑 Fractions of Your Time – Mid-project reflection & process

Scimatics time! This project is about what fraction of our time we spend on screens.

The first thing we did in this project was to try and make a tower that could hold a paper clip on top out of one sheet of paper and ten centimetres of tape. It had to be at least thirty centimetres tall. We got points depending on the percent of paper we saved. We used my plan on how to make it. ⬇️ Here is my plan ⬇️

⬇️ Here is our tower ⬇️

We used a scale to weigh the paper. A whole piece of paper is 4.3 grams and our leftover paper was 3.9 grams. We saved 3.9 grams out of 4.3 grams. 3.9 ÷ 4.3 x 100 = 91% We saved 91% of our paper, our group won!

Then we made a table in Numbers to track our screen time. We learned to format our table so it would do math for us. We also learned how to ad a pie chart.

⬇️ Here is my table and pie chart ⬇️

⬇️ Here is me formatting the table ⬇️

As you can see, I am also tracking my time spent reading, doing homework, exercising and being outdoors. My mom was super happy when she heard what this project was. She has always wanted me to do something like this to track my screen time.
I was having a really hard time concentrating due to the classmates around me. So I asked Mr. Gross if I could move to a different table and he said that I could. This worked out better for everyone, some classmates got to go with people they enjoy working with more or got to stop sitting beside those that they found distracting! For any students reading this, remember that you have the right to ask your teacher to change things if you are unable to learn because of it, you are in school to learn. I started enjoying this project way more once I got to move to a new table! I am really looking forward to seeing how much time my classmates and I spend on screens.

Keep your eye open for another post about the rest of this project!

One thought on “🕑 Fractions of Your Time – Mid-project reflection & process

1. Whoa, you really went in depth about this milestone! Also, thanks for the advice given near the end of the post. I am finding it a little hard to concentrate for the same reason, so I’ll consider asking Mr. Gross if I can move seats as well. Your post is very well written. Keep it up! 🙂