🏛 PLP Spring Exhibition 2022

We just completed our PLP Spring Exhibition “IMPACT!”

PLP Exhibitions showcases the learning PLP learners have done. We were split into teams, each responsible for a room. I was assigned to “Beyond The Classroom.” We also got to work with the Grade 8’s to create our room. 

Our room’s driving question was:

How do we make deeper connections beyond our classroom?

The answer our team decided on was:
“Experiences outside the classroom can help us build our teamwork skills, develop student agency, and immerse ourselves in authentic experiences which we can apply to our future. We did all of this by going on an overnight field study to Loon Lake, walking to the mailbox in Deep Cove to mail our letters, and conducting interviews with people in the community”

We (the Gr. 9’s) were mainly in charge of the planning and execution of the exhibition with the Gr. 8’s adding their work and ideas. 

Our room’s purpose was to share how PLP students extend their learning beyond the classroom. Unfortunately due to COVID, we weren’t able to go on many field studies, but we did get to go to Loon Lake, conduct interviews for our documentaries and walk to the Deep Cove mailbox to send our letters. I found the most difficult part of planning our room was connecting everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) to our learning, specifically our filming skills/documentaries. 

We used this pitch form to organize, plan and pitch our ideas for our room (click to open):

Once we had established our plan we finalized the map of our room. Shoutout to Ava and Ariane’s mapping/drawing skills!

We pitched our ideas to the teachers who gave us some feedback:

We then took that feedback and perfected our plan.

With the plan done we were able to begin creating the items needed for our room. We used a lot of coloured paper to make mountain backdrops, mailboxes and more.

I had a good time constructing our room with Dana, Ava and Ariane as we operated (built) Marvin the Mailbox, cut out decorations and moved around desks.

Here’s some photos from our exhibition room:

I also had the brilliant idea to have a “rope ferry” race to replicate the rope ferry at loon lake. We used pulleys, ropes and skateboards to create a race that visitors to the exhibition could participate in and race against their friends or against us.

Mr. Harris and I racing (sorry for the poor image quality)

On the night of the exhibition we set up our rooms and welcomed the visitors. I really enjoyed getting to see people learn and have fun with everything we put hard work into for our room. I also got to race several of the teachers on the Rope Ferry Race, including: Mr. Barnes (band teacher), Ms. Maxwell and Mr. C Harris. It was lots of fun!

During my 15min break I got to go see the other rooms and the senior grade’s work! I really enjoyed getting to see what my peers had been working on, although it was quite rushed (hopefully I’ll get more time next year!)

Here’s a video Alicia made of the exhibition at the end of the night:

Thanks to all who helped make our room look and function as we planned: Ava, Ariane, Dana, Sepaus, Sydney, Kira, Hannah, Gwen, Jackson, Dylan and Tom (just to name a few!)

Our Team for Beyond the Classroom

Thanks for reading!