The Awesome Oregon Field Study of 2017

A picture taken from the back of the whale watching boat we were on.

*the title says it all*

My class and I were stuck in Oregon for 7 days. 7 long days. Just kidding! The Oregon Field Study was absolutely surreal. I can’t speak for my classmates but I got to experience much more than I would have just sitting in class.

My favorite day in Oregon:

Day 2: Fort Stevens and Ziplines

Here is a run down of Day 2: Fort Stevens and Ziplines:

We were staying in Astoria, Oregon after having come down from Canada. We awoke (it sounds like I’m a vampire when I put it like that but what ever) at around 7:00 ish and ALOT of people complained. It was too early in the morning for complaining. Anywho, we headed of to the beach for about an hour. It was pretty cold and windy. Fun time, right? Then we headed off to the historical site of Fort Stevens. We learnt a lot of stuff about it. We learnt about the military batteries, those are ‘sets’ of guns for those who didn’t know. We also got a guided tour through the old batteries and the Fort Stevens Old Military Base. It was pretty spooky when we were going to see the batteries. I think one of the most interesting things I learn about was the attack that occurred in 1942. A Japanese submarine fired at Fort Stevens, rather they attempted to but were off target and missed. After leaving Fort Stevens, we went and completed the highlight of the day: Lunch.

I am, of course, joking. Lunch was undoubtedly good but we went zip lining afterwards, nothing can beat that.

The shell of a sea urchin I found at Yaquinna Bay Head Outstanding Natural Area.

I am terrified of heights, so Ziplining was… what’s the word?….. amusing. Yes, very amusing for my classmates who got to watch me scream and flail about tons. Though, I must admit zip lining was one of the best things I have ever done, even when I was shrieking. When we were done we packed up and headed to the next adventure of the day.

P.S. I’m the kid on the right that looks like she’s about to throw up.

Then the PLP 8 class was unleashed in Costco. It was awesome. And then we went for Thai Food, which was absolutely delicious, by the way.

The Oregon book

The ‘Oregon book’ was a book that we filled with little summaries of what happened and pictures of our activities + notes of what we learnt.

Oregon ‘a fantastic learning opportunity’:

I got to learn tons in Oregon. If I hadn’t gone on the Field Study, I wouldn’t have gotten to build an R.O.V ( Remotely Operated Vehicle ) or gotten to stay the night at the Audubon Socitey Shelter outside of Portland. I almost definitely wouldn’t have gotten to dress up in historic clothing at the Yaquinna Bay Head Outstanding Natural Area Museum or the Yaquinna State Park Museum ( long name huh?). It was an amazing learning opportunity and if you would like to see more of what I have learnt while in Oregon you can read my ‘Oregon book’.

My favorite thing I gained from Oregon:

I got to know everybody in my class so much better. I made friends with people I never thought I would have been friends with. We went through all of the stuff we went through in Oregon…together.

Photo Gallery: