All of Worldview

Hey guys, first post of 2019 pretty exciting right, anyway lets jump right into it. For the last few months our class has been working on one specific project, the world views of world religions. Now this may seem like a pretty long time for a project to go on for but you would be surprised, it was actually a lot more complicated than I would have thought. To start the unit off we had to first understand our own personal worldview before we could even start to understand the world views of religions. I actually made a post about my worldview a while back so if you haven’t seen it yet I’ll put a link to it here. As you can see my worldview is highly affected by my family members, which I personally don’t think is a bad thing. However, figuring out your own worldview is only a quarter of the whole project.

• The Hindu Temple
  • The Sikh Gurdwara
  • The Buddhist Monastery
  • The Catholic Church
  • The Jewish Synagogue
  • The Islamic Mosque

Once we had finished with our own worldview it was time to move on to religious worldview. Ms. Willemse and Mr. Hughes had planed a field study for us, it would bring us to six different religious sights. However, before we could go to these places we had to first learn about the different religions and their different beliefs. I have written a separate blog post about the field study click here to read it.

After these field studies we were tasked with creating a photo documentary using the photos we took to answer the driving question “How is religious worldview represented in the real world”. Since I had chosen to focus on the architecture of the religious sites for my photos that was what my documentary focused on. Using keynote I divided the photos into the seven different religious sites we visited, by doing this I was able to show our path through each of the religious sites. Looking back on this aspect of this unit I believe that I was able to answer the driving question while using my amazing photo skills that I learned by completing the activities in “Everyone Can Create: Photo”. You can read about them here and here. Using the feedback from my teachers I kept improving my photo documentary until the Winter expedition. Please enjoy World views of World Religions: A Photo Documentary.

Soon after we started Ms. Willemse assigned us piece of work, our religious worldview poster. She gave each of our table groups one of the religions we learned about and using what we learned we had to design a poster that not only showed the seven aspects of worldview but looked amazing while doing it. Though I wish I could talk about the whole process in this post it would take too long so instead I have created a post that specifically talks about what steps we took to create it. You can see that post here, however for those of you not interested in this topic here is our finished product.

As you can see my group was given Islam and we decided to focus on the five pillars of Islam which show all seven aspects of worldview in the Islam religion. However all these activities weren’t just fro fun they were all leading up to one of the biggest projects I have ever done: The Winter Exhibition. For those of you that don’t know the Winter Exhibition is one of the most stressful times a PLP student will have to deal with each year. Everyone is put into groups and given a vague outline that they have to follow it is up to the students to come up with what thy will be creating. We were tasked with creating our Photo Documentary, the Worldview Poster, and setting up a station that would help answer the driving question even more than we already had. We had to come up with a dish to serve that was part of the culture of our religion, my group decided to make date squares. The reason being that a long time ago Muslims usually lived in desert climates so food would rot easily, the solution was to keep dates that would keep for the long treks to other settlements. We also had to come up with a activity for people to do that was suitable for all ages and would take less than two minutes. We decided that we would get people to write their names in Arabic which is what their holy book, the Quran, is written in. We also had to design what our station looked like.

• Here are some very unflattering photos of my group and I setting up our station
  • A group picture with the completed station

We placed our tables in an open shape so it would look inviting an visitors would want to come and visit our station, it worked! We were the first station that almost everyone visited and I have to say, we did a great job of explaining the process of how we accomplished what we did. The way we had set things up had actually made it easier to show how we had progressed over the last few weeks with everything we had done.

In conclusion, I think that I learned so much about these different religions and why the people that worship them think a certain way. I also recognized that your worldview can influence your everyday life such as: what arguments you had because you both had a different out look on the situation. In the end, worldview is everywhere in our culture and when you realize that so many more things make sense than before, I know it did to me.