mPOL 2019

Its insane to think that we are already halfway through the school year and that the summer is so far gone, but from the start of September till now we have learned and accomplished a lot in PLP. This year in PGP we were shown an academic success plan/goals to shape and work towards this year. In grade 11 we have Curricular Competencies, ISTE Standards aswell as Habits if mind. I thoughts all of these resources had were great goals suited for our year and will be helpful to think about and refer back to them in further work.

Curricular competincies

• Assess the significance of people, cultural expressions, political issues, places, events, or developments, and compare varying perspectives on their historical significance at particular times and places, and from group to group (significance)
  • Read for enjoyment and to achieve personal goals
  • Use writing and design processes to plan, develop, and create engaging and meaningful texts for a variety of purposes and audiences

Habits of Mind

• Applying Past Knowledge to New Situations: Use what is learned; Consider prior knowledge and experience; Apply knowledge beyond the situation in which it was learned.

ISTE Standards
• Empowered Learner: Students leverage technology to take an active role in choosing, achieving and demonstrating competency in their learning goals, informed by the learning sciences.

We also now use a journal and things to organize and create and keep track of our goals. There was a lot of helpful assignments in the novel What Do You Really Want that really made you think of what goals are important and how you can actually achieve them. I put some of the work I did in Book Creator

PGP Goals

PGP Goals
Click to read this book, made with Book Creator
https://read.bookcreator.com

Our big question to be covering in this Mpol which is:

How are you going to progress as a learner before the end of the school year?

I will be answering this by showing examples of where I haven’t done my best work, and what I should’ve done differently. Aswell as showing where I thought I did great work, and how I can go farther next time.

The Newsreel Project

One of our first projects this year, sadly, I felt like was my worst project in Plp in general. Though I guess when you think about it, it’s alright because I can only go up from there. This project was creating a Newsreel that I did with Sam, Callum, and Ryan.

The problem for me wasn’t motivation or understanding the expectations, because I was exited for this project and thought it was going to look really cool. What I did find challenging in this particular project, was working with my group. I found that we weren’t working very well in class and definitely weren’t all as motivated to do this project, which greatly affected the outcome. Next time there’s a few things I definetly could have done differently.

#1 Decide What Role is Best for me Considering the Circumstances

For this project I took on writing the most of the script. During the project I had more time then usual and like I said before I was very interested in the project unlike some. All though it was beneficial that I did the first draft of the script because I got it done fast so there was more time for the rest of creating the project, I definetly think I should taken over the final draft of editing.

#2 Make Sure Everyone is on the Same Page

Because we didn’t work enough in class we didn’t communicate enough as a team. I found when I saw the final product there was a lot missing, such as a title, and the visuals wasn’t what I imaged they would be for our theme. I wish I spoke up more because even though I understood what we should be doing to make it a great project, not everyone did.

#3 Don’t be Afraid to Just Do

I really held my self back on this project because I was afraid of over stepping when I didn’t need to. Next time I should definetly go with my gut when I’m worried someone might need help or not have enough time to get some of there part done well. Instead of asking them if there good or need me to do anything, I will take action.  

Before I get into the exhibition I’m going to talk about the blog I created for it.

This years exhibition was such a cool PLP project that exited everyone one way or another because it involved building, art, acting, writing, and presenting. Though it also was intimidating because although there was something I love (art) there was also something I don’t tend to enjoy (presenting). I definetly was proud of my work I took charge in painting the scenery created props, helped edit the script, had some good ideas that were heard, and definitely got out of my comfort zone acting as Joseph Welch.

Now that I reflected I realize there was definitely a couple things I could have done differently. I definitely could have gotten out of my comfort zone for this project. When assigning roles instead of saying that I didn’t care and staying away from big roles such as being a guide I should have gone for it. Also I should have been preparing for the blog post by taking notes and pictures of the process.

My last example of work I have done is actually not from this year but I thought might be substantial to include and reflect apon. So let’s take a look at my last years mPOL.

Coming back to your big question, “how are you going to progress as a learner before the end of the school year?”, all I can really say is that I am going to try, probably fail at first, grow from my mistakes, succeed sometimes, and always be open to do more.

To elaborate on that, I am going to start every project not thinking I will never get this done or it won’t be good, but how can I use whatever time I have to get it done and be at least a little proud of the work I have done. Managing my time is more important than ever this year, having multiple classes with constant heavy workloads, so it is great that are PLP teachers are pushing us to time manage. How I time manage is by writing in my journal. I have been using this method for a long time and it really works if I follow it. I always have my journal in my back back and whenever we are given homework or a test is coming up, even if I don’t know exactly when it’s due, I write it down and later order the priority usually for the weekend.

A new skill I will be using this year is the time blocking. I have always had my schoo, and dance/sport schedule in my calendar but never thought of using it for homework. Although I mentally schedule out when I have time for homework being able to see everything I need to do and not worrying about forgetting something would definetly help me not leave things to the last minute.

This year I am going to put a lot more effort in time management because when you allow yourself more to get the most out of opportunities you are given.