Salk’s Vaccine Works!

Polio was a deadly infectious disease that in the 1900s caused major epidemics in the US and Europe. Before Dr. Salk’s IPV vaccine, polio was paralyzing and killing more than thousands of children per year.

The development of Salks polio vaccine wiped out an incurable disease, led advancements in medical technology, and changed the fate of humanity.

Polio Vaccine Keynote

In this unit we were challenged with answering “what Makes an Event Significant?” and presenting an example. Determining significance usually comes down to importance, profundity, quantity, durability and relevance.

The Billy Joel song, “We Didn’t Start The Fire”, included a ton of examples of significant events and people.

Lyrics

We got to choose one topic that was stated in the song to create a presentation for including any creative media piece. The range of topics was very diverse, being about political figures, musicians, medical advancements, and athletes. All where greatly significant in there own way so you could take this project into any direction most likely suiting your own personal interests. I decide to choose the topic “vaccines”. I thought this personally was a great choice because it was a harder topic that I didn’t know much about compared to music and other arts.

Research

The research done for this project was extensive. We were tasked to write 5-10 pages of formal research including your specific driving question, thesis, and how you will communicate the significance in another way other than a keynote.

Formal Research

The media I created combined art, animation, and geography.

Now that my research, media and keynote was done it was time to present my knowledge to the class. I was more than nervous about doing this 5min presentations, but once it came to the dreadful day all the work I put into this project paid off.