Mixing math with board games

Staring the year off strong with the end of my first scimatics project on exponents!!  

So it’s project was a group project. I was delighted to have Makenna and Declan in my group, it was great.

This project stared off like any other… with a mind map! By creating a mind map helps you recognize the new things you learned 

The next step was brainstorming on white board (we may have gotten a little carried away with the doodles 😅)

On the whiteboard we had to write down ways we could incorporate exponents into games with certain requirements may it be; using a certain amount of paper “dots”, using at least one exponent law or two 

• Must use at least 3 exponent laws

Then came all the homework 🥲 that was not too bad. But not lovely 

Then came out first draft of “the game rules”, it took a a week and a bit to fully understand and articulate what we wanted our game to be but in the end this is what we got ⬇️

After that we got it critiqued (not Mrs.Maxwell level critique but something close) by Mr, Harris and other students to make sure the spelling was correct, it was easy to understand and of course it was slight enjoyable to play. 

We needed to make a few adjustments…

• spelling 
  • Adding “game pieces” (the stuff in the box)
  • Game tokens 
  • Some other minor details 

Game

And that was our final “game instructions” draft.

our final game draft I would Say is a good example of the curricular competency “reasoning and analyzing” because in the end the instructions were clear, simple and had an easy winning concept.

Next was creating the physical game board, card and game tokens 

• Gam board w/ game pieces

Mr final product ⬆️ I would consider a great example of “communicating and representing“ because; We (our group) clearly incorporated at least 4 different exponent laws (in the cards), presented clear enough instruction the players were able to play by themselves with no unnecessary instruction and (although I wouldn’t buy this game) it was slight interesting and interactive and there were ways to get everyone involved

By the time all that was complete it was game day!🥳

Literally it is what it sounds like, we went around the classroom (and  Mr.Gross’s classroom) and tried out versions games. It was amazing to see all the other students ideas and there create ways to incorporate  exponents int a board games.

The fact that our group was finished on time (that was a surprise) and that we used all our work days/time accordingly is a great example of the curricular competency “Applying and innovating” because well, we did finished our project on time, all our class time was used effectively and each group member did a significant amount of work.

And then last. It not least, there’s this… the blog post, not my favourite part but also not my least fav 

So that concludes my first blog post of the year, I hope your excited to read more because there are defiantly more to come 🙂 

Hannah 🥥🥖🍣☕️🥜🎾