Indie’s 3am thoughts

Welcome to Elmo’s world

WWI! Artifacts, soldiers and videos oh my!

Hi there, my name is Indy, and I’m here to tell you about my experience through a project called The Great War Exhibit. The driving question for this project was: How might we use artifacts and film to show the significance of WWI?

My soldier was called Eugene Gerald Hunt, he was in WWI and I found him through the Canadian soldier archives! I researched his journey through WWI to the best of my abilities, and then he became a part of my final video! Soldier archives:

Soldier archives

My artifact was a Nursing sisters apron, and I received this artifact via a artifact box from the Canadian war museum. I researched this item to put it in my final video, and then the Canadian war museum sent it to my school!

Canadian war museum

Before receiving my artifact we also did a activity during class, that was about life on the home front, and I got to research women’s role during the war, which was awesome, and helped me get some clarity on the nurses role in the war!

The screenplay for my video was something I was very proud of, which is why I’m putting it in this post! It was the biggest building block of my video and I spent quite a while, writing it and making it better!

screenplay for Eugene Gerald Hunt and the nursing sisters apron

The video in this project was kind of like the final big preparation step before we had the exhibition! This is what everything I’ve already talked about has lead up to, and in the end I was very proud of it. It took a lot of work too, as I had to get her my sources and add French subtitles as well as just making the video itself.

Now, the finale to this project, the exhibition. We held a museum style exhibition featuring all of the artifacts we got, and we had people from around the community come around and learn about the artifacts! The people presenting their artifacts beside me were Dries and Ryan. The exhibition was very cool and it was a great way to show off learning whilst teaching others!

Global collaborator and Establishing historical significance were the competencies, the evidence of these competencies are in the things above, for example the exhibition was a great example of global collaborator, as we were all collaborating to present an exhibition!

In conclusion, learning about WWI is important and I think it was really cool to have an experience like this! I’ve been Indy thank you for reading!

indiras • June 7, 2021