Indie’s 3am thoughts

Welcome to Elmo’s world

Core to the Shore?

After the Second World War, society resumed and the world we know today began to be built. I’m Indy and in our latest project for humanities, we focused on life after the war, specifically in North Vancouver.

This project felt quite special because we actually had a client in mind as we were making our final product (more on that later), that client was MonovaMonova is the Museum Of North Vancouver, and as a class we created a digital magazine type thing, a “zine” as we’ve been calling it.

In the first part of this project, we made a short trip (a 10 minute walk) to deep cove, where we learned about the area and Canada after the Second World War. After that we spent a little bit of time learning about how society resumed and what some of the significant developments at the time were. The main development that I picked up on was definitely the growth of the suburbs, which was a big thing that happened very soon after the war. Here are some of my notes that I think are relevant: Notes

In this zine we each chose a topic surrounding the North Shore after WWII, mainly from the history highlights page on the Monova website, and we created a multi paragraph composition on why that topic was significant. Obviously, topics focused around a small community is not something that immediately comes to mind when you think of significant things. The way we did this multi paragraph composition was by choosing a local topic, and then connecting it to something more significant, all of it centred around the world after WWII. 

My zine was about local businesses in North Vancouver, and I connected it to the tourism industry today. My process of writing the composition started with doing some research into the history of the community and it’s small businesses. I started taking notes on these businesses and ended up with this document: Small businesses

When I was done with the research we made outlines to help writing the actual piece. This is where we figured out things like the hook, the thesis, the introduction etc. here’s that:  Outline

After I did the outline, it was time to write. I actually was very proud of my first draft and I was glad I did a good amount of research beforehand, because it made writing a lot easier. 

So the main meat of the project seemed to be this piece of writing, and after we had finished a few drafts with some little fixes and feedback, we made “the zine”. “The zine” was a class product, in which we all took our writing and made it into an online magazine with images and such, each person having a few pages for their multi paragraph composition. You can find our zine on the highlights page of Monova, as we made it for them.

If your interested also, below is my multi paragraph composition in zine form:

Zine

The driving question for this project was “What significant developments occurred after WWII in Vancouver and across Canada?” Reflecting on this project, I think that through the notes, the multi paragraph composition and the other little things we did to deepen understanding, that question has been answered. 

So all in all I think that this project was a great way to practice my writing skills, and I’m excited to keep learning more about all of the history that happened after this!

Thanks for reading this reflection post! Comment your thoughts and have a good day!

indiras • May 6, 2022