Indie’s 3am thoughts

Welcome to Elmo’s world

Spring Exhibition 2022

Every year, the final project we work on is for a big presentation the entirety of PLP holds: The exhibition.

This year, our project that was presented at the exhibition was called “Cray Cray, Yay Yay”,  the PLP 10s,11s, and 12s all chose community impact makers to celebrate and present at our exhibition.

We all chose an impact maker different from each other, and who was connected to a community that we are connected to. Before I get into the specifics though, I should give you our definition of an impact maker.

We extracted our definition from an old Apple ad, about “the crazy ones”.

We then came up with the definition: an  Impact maker is a person that identifies a problem and figures out and implements a solution. This action leaves an impact on a community or individual that changes our world. An impact makers makes our planet a better place to live.

We used that definition and customized it further to define world as communities.

When we were setting up the exhibition it’s important to note that the grade 8s and 9s exhibition felt like a world away, and most of the senior grades didn’t get to see it, so I probably won’t mention it at all, because it wasn’t part of my experience. However, you can go to PLP learner portfolios and find the grade 8s and 9s learner portfolio posts if you want to read about their experience.

So, the final product. We were tasked with making a portrait of our impact maker, in any way we wanted. We defined portrait as: A painting, drawing, photograph, or engraving of a person, especially one depicting only the face or head and shoulders. 

The community impact maker that I chose was Robert Buckley, a composer who reimagined indigenous music to be concert band pieces that can be played by bands all across the globe. Robert Buckley

Here is my portrait idea, and then the execution.

With our section of the exhibition we had the impact makers put into categories and those categories were put into aisles ( like a grocery store).

I had a lot of fun with this exhibition and I think it really helped me define my presenting skills with strangers. But, I feel obligated to express some thoughts about this exhibition overall.

Last years final exhibition in the spring was incredible. It was a show that also simultaneously presented our learning. This year felt like a step down of sorts, with us doing a regular exhibition compared to last years, it felt strange. It was still a lot of fun but in general I think that both the students and the “audience” enjoyed last years in the grand scheme.

So, in conclusion this exhibition was fun, the project we did felt impactful, and I hope next years spring exhibition is even better!

Thanks for reading my blog post!

indiras • June 20, 2022