The Medium is the Message – Summative assessment

Hello,

For our new assignment called the medium is the massage we had to answer the driving question “How does what we hear, read, and see influence us?”. In this summative assessment of the project I will walk you though how I answered this question and the different tools I used to help me get to the conclusion.

The first big thing we did in my opinion was our text analysis of the Apple advertisement “Welcome Home” I think this was probably some of my best work the project. The advertisement was for Apples news HomePod mini and showed a girl getting home from work and asking Sistine to play something she’ll like, the video continues to show her dancing around her small apartment and as she does so the room starts respond to her movements and starts to move and adapt to her dancing. This was my favourite part of this whole project and was very fun to watch.

[ My welcome text analysis along with the video can we found here]

Next we started working on milestone 3. For milestone 3 we did a Historical Advertising Analysis we had to pick an advertisement and almost review it in a sense. We had to look at its content and the way people would view it back then compared to now. The advertisement I chose was a Marlboro advertisement that had a baby on it, obviously now a baby on a cigarette ad would not be acceptable and people would probably detested by the entire company. But back then people were probably ok with it and it probably sold a lot of cigarettes seeing as thought they put baby’s on multiple of there advertisements and people probably either turned a blind eye to it or got completely captivated by the baby.

While all this was happening we were placed into 4 groups, a north group, south group, west group, and east group. Each group meant something and for different points and developing things in this project we would be placed in these groups. Our north groups were our main groups, we did all the advertising drafts with them and all the big project planing with them. Our south groups were are analysis groups we weren’t with therm that often but when we were we would be reading or doing the analytical part of the project. Our west groups were our advertising groups, we would analyze each other’s ad drafts and give feedback on them almost like a marketing team. Our east groups were our design groups, we practiced taking photos with them, did lots of graphic design, and edit our advertisements and photos.

We then created “practice ads”. Even though we had been working on our drafts for ahoy we needed to do some more work and improvement on our design skills, then comes our stepping stone “The World Needs Your Voice”. In this assignment we needed to pick a topic, any topic, and create an advertisement for a medium that we would “use” to convey our topics message. I made a poster for a podcast called “What’s wrong with us?” Which was a podcast talking about what’s wrong with the world, this was my advertisement.

I really liked this stepping stone because it let us have complete control about everything the content, the topic, the platform, and so on. I feel like this really let me express my creativity in my own style.

Now came our advertising drafts. In our north groups we were each tasked with creating different advertising drafts which we would later merge together to create one final advertisement for our business, this was my groups final ad.

We chose the business A’hoy to market for which is a clothing store that also has things like shoes, hat, backpacks, and other accessories. We were told by there manager Marie that they didn’t have something they wanted to focus on in particular but they did want to focus a lot on the upcoming weather and new clothing’s selections they had. While we were creating everything we were making sure to record our proctor in our launch journal, this is were we planned and marked up new changes or put e-mail drafts. The word LAUNCH is an acronym and each letter means a different thing, each letter also had a slide/page that meant something. We also worked on couple advertising drafts individually.

[Click here to find out more about my own drafts and the process]

While all this was happening we were also reading a book called the Gospel According to Larry. This book is about a guy who starts his own online blog to charge his messages and opinions with the world, it started of as something small but then soon as lot more people found his blog and he started to become this world round sensation and how he deals with trying to keep it a secret as-well as struggling with normal teenage problems. I found this book very interesting and captivating, most of my class didn’t think so to but in the end it still found it highly amusing and it always kept me on the edged of my seat waiting for more to come.

And later on we started reading McLuhan’s text which was about different messages and mediums used in our every day lives and how they effect each other, this piece of text I found less interesting and somewhat boring compared to Larry. It did however help we answer the driving question in our class, even though it was a slow read.

Soon we had to put it all together and so we wrote a summative assessment (this is it) and so here we are. Now for that question I promised to answer, I think what we hear, read, and see influences us to form our opinions about different subjects. For example if your parents and other people were telling you that voting for someone like Biden is right, or voting from a more liberal point of view is better that will form your opinion as you grow up. But let say your friend didn’t here anything about that and saw something on TV promoting Trump then they might start to from an opinion that Trump is good and that they should vote for him. And lets say a third friend read a bunch of fake news about the both of them then they might not know who to vote for, that’s were the other to hear and see come in to help form that opinion. They all need each other to help influence people to change or form a new opinion on something.

Thank you for reading,

Ines 🙂

Published inHumanities

One Comment

1. Emily Maxwell

Nice reflection Ines! I like your focus on certain Milestones and Stepping Stones and how they helped lead you to your answer to the Driving Question (cool podcast cover too!)