Scimatics Milestone Five: A Fraction Of Your Time

Summative assessment: 

As a 13 year old growing up in more modern times I was very surprised when I found out that I wasn’t on my phone as much as I thought, Sure I do wish I was outside more and that I was going out and doing more productive things then sitting and starting at a screen in my free time but that’s just the way life is, For our first project in Scimatics (science and math) we started to take a look at our screen time while also trying to answer the question “What fraction of our time is screen time?”. The results of mine shocked me and in the end I feel like I was able to answer the question, with the help of my iPad, The app Numbers, and more. 

Fractions in the Class:

To start of this project we looked at our classmates and divided there looks, preferences, as well as the school year. Now this doesn’t mean we judged them we more or less observed them. We look at the amount of people that white and the number of people that had dark hair. Next we looked at people’s preferences, now we couldn’t just go around asking everyone in our class this (there’s a lot of us) so instead we asked the people at our table groups. The question for peoples preferences was “How many people in your group like video games?”. And lastly we took a look at more factual questions then preferences or things that could be changed easily, we took a look at how many months in the school year that had past, the amount of class time that has past, and the amount of time in the day that has passed. The last question more or less concentrated on our groups work ethic than it did anything else. And then of course we need to answer these questions with a fraction. These were our answers:

First Look at Chart:

Next we took a look at our screen time and started to create a spreadsheet with the categories, on screen time, of screen time, and at least one extra topic to focus on I chose sleep. For screen time we tracked the time on different devices, I tracked the time on my iPhone and iPad for screen time and then i tracked different categories on both devices such as productivity, entertainment, social, and more. We then created different charts to display our data in. Then we needed to make a formula to make sure that our iPads added up and placed the totals into the charts we had created. 

Final Look at Chart:

We continued to work on these and started to create and edit our different charts and tables with different colours and then started to slowly add information over the span of the week (how long we were tracking our screen time usage for and then we presented to our classmates.

Graphs/Pie Charts:

Each graph had a different topic(s) that it held different information. For example this graph (below) showed the difference between my time on a screen then off. As you can see my screen time (green) is somewhat smaller than my time off of a screen (brown), This chart probably surprised me the most at first until I remembered that being off a screen also counts as sleep and more.

Another graph of mine shows the difference between my iPhone screen time and my iPad screen time, as you can see I use my iPhone (brown) a lot more than I would my iPad (green) which I really only use for drawing and school. I use my phone on the other hand for more social and entertainment.

Curriculum Competencies:

Once we finished our presentations on this we were graded on three curricular competencies, Applying and Innovating, Understanding and Solving, Communicating and Representing. 

For the first competency, Applying and Innovating, we needed to contribute to care for self, others, community, and world though individual or collaborative approaches. I feel like I did a fairly good job at this and made sure to use my class time efficiently and made sure to try and get most if not all my work done in class. Me and my table partner gave each other meaningful feed back on each other’s charts and helped each other understand instructions and more. In the end I think this shows my care for others, myself, and the community.

Next we were graded on the competency Understanding and Solving, for this one we needed to visualize and explore mathematical concepts. I feel like I I did a ok job at this one because I made my charts very visually easy to read the different outcomes, I also tried to explore different mathematical concepts while working on this but in the end stayed with only a few. I also tried to make my charts visually appealing in a sense that its very easy to find the different concepts.

Lastly we were graded on the competency Communicating and Representing, for this competency we needed to represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms. I think I did really good while working with this competency I had lots of pie charts to show my work and had lots of different topics for each chart. I also tried to make sure to have my one extra topic included or weaved in with my different charts. 

Thank you,

Ines

Published inScimatics

One Comment

1. aliciah

You intro is very relatable, you put it in great wording
    Alicia 😀