DI Provincials 2019

If you haven’t read this years Regionals Post, then in order to understand this post, you should probably read that one first. If you have read my post linked above, then here is my experience with Destination Imagination Provincials 2019.

My Groups Revisions 

To anyone who saw my group’s Regionals presentation, it was obvious that our main, and biggest revision, would be our aircraft. Because most of our time to work on our feedback and revisions was over Spring Break, we didn’t get as much done as we could’ve if the time was during the school term. As a group we tried our best to get as much done as we possibly could with the time we had. We improved the flight of our plane, and the technique in which the payloads dropped. My group members were more confident with the plane than they had been before. This boosted our confidence as a team.

One major part of the Provincials that lowered our confidence, was the fact that one of our team members wasn’t going to be there for the presentation, meaning that Daniel and Melika were going to have more lines than before. This also gave us a chance to simplify, and shorten our original script, which was a piece of revision that our group had received more than once. 

When it came to the day of the tournament, I didn’t feel as nervous as I had for regionals. In fact I didn’t feel much at all that day, it felt crazy that it was going to be my last time presenting this challenge, and the last time participating in DI. It was a bit of a bummer that our instant challenge and our main challenge were so far apart in the day, we had a lot of waiting around time. 

We ended up with a second place medal and trophy for our main challenge, and a first place medal and trophy for our instant challenge. The raw scores that we received were interesting to see, because we were able to compare both of our performances (regionals and provincials) to see how much we improved since our last performance.

What I’ve Taken Away From Destination Imagination

Each tournament that I’ve participated in has shown me something new about team work and creative collaboration.

Regionals 2018: The details and “small things”, make a difference.

Provincials 2018: Though you may be confident with what you’ve created, if you’ve got time to improve, then use it. 

Regionals 2019: Splitting your team up within tasks, sometimes divides your group too much, making it difficult to communicate.

Provincials 2019: Working together completely, is the only way to be successful as a group.

Though I’ve participated in DI one year less than most of my classmates, I believe I’ve received the same lesson. By DI being a mandatory part of school, we were pushed into the unknown, we got out of our comfort zones, and we tried new things. These are adjectives that couldn’t be found as a description for most projects. I’m proud to say that DI had taught me something, or many things I should say.

Thank you DI for stressing me out, but also making school a little more interesting.