So…What Are You Gonna Do When You’re Older?

Who Am I 

To start off our section of Career Life Education within maker class, we all signed into My Blueprint. My Blueprint is a website that guides you as you figure out your high school, post secondary, and career plans. But before I dove into that topic, I learnt a little bit about myself. But what could a website full of surveys possibly tell me about myself, that I didn’t already know? This was the mindset that I had before the surveys.

These results are important within the process of figuring out what works for me as a student, an employee, and a person in general. What motivates me? Or, how will my learning styles relate to my career choices? Through a number of various questions, I was left with some surprisingly quite accurate results. 

Presentation 

After gaining all this new (and not new) information, I needed to present my learning. I did this through keynote. I was able to try out many new keynote techniques. 

Such as grouping objects:

Or creating an animated path for an object: 

We are always told that a keynote slide should only include three words, the rest of the slide taken up by visuals. I now understand how that’s possible, how objects and animations can support what you’re saying. 

I am really proud if this presentation. I was really unsure as to how to execute this presentation. With such a broad outline, most of the planning was up to me. And looking at it now, I wouldn’t have done it any other way. 

Graduation + Post Secondary Plan 

Moving on from Who Am I, now its time to focus on, Who Am I Going To Be? The other side of My Blueprint, is guiding me through all the scary or confusing parts of my future. This is how I’ve always viewed this part of my life, the figuring out what courses in University I’m going to take, or if the career I want, has a reasonable salary. These topics never seemed like an easy conversation or process. My Blueprint, has made it a little less overwhelming. 

For the smaller part of the picture, this is my high school plan. What I’m taking at the moment, and what I’ll be taking in the years of Seycove to come.

It was refreshing to lay out all of my classes like this. Seeing them like this grounded me a bit, instead of getting carried away about it, I was able to see how you must take certain classes in prior years in order to do it the next. And that you have more choices in grade 12 than 11. 

After I established my high school plan, it was time to lay out my career options. This is where those Who Am I surveys came in handy. From the data collected from the surveys I did earlier, My Blue print displayed a number of different careers that would fit me. Some being accurate to my plans, while others weren’t. 

On this chart, I laid out some careers that I’m interested, and some specific information that My Blueprint supplied me with. 

This was something I had been meaning to do for a while now. Comparing the salary, the education requirements, e.t.c. for the careers I’m interested in. 

How do self-awareness and knowledge of skills, talents, and challenges contribute to career-life choices?

In order to make a wise and accurate choice about your career and life, you must be aware of your traits: your strengths, what motivates you, your interest traits, and your most productive work environment. Without this knowledge, you could set yourself up for a life that is un-enjoyable, and doesn’t challenge you. You could be stuck in a cycle of work and life, that seems to drone on day after day. Get to know your self. Then you will find your way through anything. 

What evidence of learning both in school and out of school, best represents the development of your competencies to plan for your future?

In school, the most valuable thing I did for planning my future, was the numbers spreadsheet. Comparing all of those career attributes, is something I will need to do often in the future, and I feel like I got a head start. By doing these types of things in grade 10, I will be more than prepared for when it is time to make my career-life choices for real.