Welcome to the WinderWow!

The mission was to create a machine that turned a hand held generator, to produce energy. Luca and I decided to use the power of wind to our advantage, by building a small windmill.

This is my mind map for my the beginning of this project, and the one below is my mind map I made after this project.

This is our design for the product.

As you can see there was a lot learnt during this unit, I really enjoyed creating a physical product instead of only a video. But, speaking of videos, here is our video advertisement we created to show off our product.

Formulate physical or mental theoretical models to describe a phenomenon:

We created the WinderWow, to show a theory of ours in a physical way. After being given our driving question, we came up with our idea, recording them through sketches. In the beginning the idea of our wind mill was a mental model, and then in time became a physical model. So our theory could be clearly presented to our audience. 

Contribute to finding solutions to problems at a local and/or global level through inquiry:

This project was a small step into finding a better way to source renewable energy. Ours was based off the wind, and was advertised as a way to power objects around your house. This idea of ours can work at a local or global level, since wind is accessible to a majority of the world while rain and streams can be more rare in certain environments. 

Select and use appropriate equipment, including digital technologies, to systematically and accurately collect and record data:

We used appropriate equipment including, our iPads to collect and record data. From class, we took notes, finished worksheets, and recorded theories. We also collaboratively brainstormed ideas on whiteboards to launch our inquiry. 

Evaluate their methods and experimental conditions, including identifying sources of error or uncertainty, confounding variables, and possible alternative explanations and conclusions:

Through each project we learn to evaluate ourselves, to highlight the exceeding expectations and the not yet meeting expectations, not only understanding this after a teacher points these things out, but being able to do it ourselves. Some pieces of our video that we would like to fix include, clips of our LED lights working, in order to show that we actually produced energy. In the video we also need to say watt hours instead of watts per day.