How does the land impact your identity? I get that you have no idea what that means, since when I was asked that on the first day of school I had no idea either. In fact I didn’t fully understand it until we made our deep cove identity videos. Basically identity is everything that makes you, you. Like where you grew up, experiences you’ve had, and what you believe in. Identity also isn’t just a personal things, cities, countries, and continents all have identities. For example, a part of Canada’s identity is hockey. Hockey is something that brings Canadians together and other places see hockey connected with Canada. Anyways, my task was to make a video where I went to three different stops on my Alberta field study and explained how it impacted the identity of either the people who lived there or any other people closely connected to the stop. I chose all my different stops based off places where the Canadian Pacific Railway left an impact. This is the base criteria we had for this project.

• Must bring in the concept of identity at a minimum of 3 different locations

• Must include your interpretation and answer to the driving question

• 3-5 minutes in length

• Music and use of voice overs within the video

• Film footage from various places on the trip that help answer your question

• Consistent and clear audio

One of the biggest themes I noticed when creating this was how powerful the climate and weather of Canada can be. As someone who lives in Vancouver, I get a lot of rain, but the summers don’t get too hot and the winters don’t get super cold. We also get very minimal amounts of snow. However, if you go any where into eastern BC or Alberta you will see how crazy snowy it gets. This meant, building the railways was EVEN HARDER to make. When I think about snow I think of snowball fights and snowboarding, but the railway crew would’ve felt fear or worry as they had seen it’s scary potential.

To make this this video I “partnered up” with Jordyn and we brainstormed what places to film, interview Questions, and we both decided to theme our videos with railway stops. We also did an interview in Banff together. However all the work, editing, and writing we did was all on our own. Now that you understand what the project was please sit back and enjoy my identity Video.

This project taught me a lot and most importantly, it really made me realize how much about the land we take for granted and how it’s different in other places. One of the biggest examples of that is how happy I am when we have snow here in Vancouver. In places like Alberta or Ontario the snow is much more of a hassle and a lot less fun. Without the weather, geography, or animals the identity of each person, city, and country today would be very different. The land makes us who we are and we need to start embracing that.