That’s a pretty fun video right? Well that was my Destination Imagination’s group performance at………PROVINCIALS! Now if you read my two blog posts from last year, first post, second post, then you understand that every year in DI not only do we just perform our solution at regionals we also go to provincials. The whole idea is that we view regionals almost as a practice so that we can improve and do much better at provincials, where we compete against many more teams. If you want to learn more about my team, what DI is, and how regionals went read my past blog post, and now I am going to dig in to our improvements.

Since my team was improv it meant there were no obvious ways yo improve like build a structure or fix something that went wrong. We had to think deep into our critique and basically just practice and research a whole lot more. Each class we were getting like 4-5 rehearsals in, each with different scenarios and future heads so that we were ready for anyone to be pulled because one of our figure heads form regionals we really weren’t ready for. We also made sure to keep the scene going when the narrator was talking and better ways to incorporate the flip. At regionals we were expecting something to happen that would barely affect the story but then were given, “the monster turns out to be a great cook”. At this point in our story we didn’t have a monster, didn’t know what to do, and that’s where everything fell apart. At provincials we were prepared for this so when we got, “the GPS can’t get the directions right,” even though that didn’t have a part in the story before we incorporated it. After we performed we were all very proud and happy of what we had accomplished.

The day of DI provincials was actually very fun. My friends and I had a good day exploring the school and watching other’s performances. Unfortunately for me after I had done my main challenge, and instant challenge earlier in the morning, I had to leave to umpire a baseball game. I wasn’t there for the award ceremonies but Gabby texted me to let me know we had come second place! I was super pumped at this news. We got medals, a trophy, and we got to feel proud of our good performance.

One of my group’s goals at the beginning fo the year was to not come last place, and we didn’t! We also wanted to have a clear improvement from regionals not provincials. Last year my team struggled quite a bit so I think past me would be very happy to know I came second not times in grade 9. Below is a chart that show’s my team from this year’s improvements from regionals to provincials.

Normally I am not the biggest fan of DI because it is A LOT OF WORK. But this year I think I really grew in many ways. I improved my leadership skills by taking that role in the group and making sure we were organized and doing our research. I also improved my improvisational skills because after doing so many different skits you’re bound to improve. I think I had a much better experience in DI this year than I did last year and I hope to continue to enjoy it next year. Who knows, maybe next year is the year I take home a gold.