Hey folks, this is my first ever TWIL Post. For those of you who are confused I was too but TWIL stands for this Week I Learned. Now I am referring to, what I learned about Romeo and Juliet as we are studying this classic play in class. This week we read/watched act 1 as well as having an introduction to who Shakespeare was and ow life worked in the Elizabethan era. Now for me I knew almost nothing about this play as the only variation of it I had seen was Gnomeo and Juliet and I didn’t remember much. Something that shocked me when reading this was the opening sonnet. As someone who didn’t know the story, hearing that my first reaction was, “HEY SPOILERS!” Ms Willemse then explained that most of Shakespeare’s plays had opening sonnets that pretty much summarized the whole story in 14 lines.

So as this sonnet stood out to me I decided for my TWIL blog to try and create my own sonnet. Unfortunately mine doesn’t have tragic love story to base it off, but instead I decided to write it about a snowy day in Deep Cove.

Writing a sonnet was not easy. I kept wanting to rhyme the line after instead of ABAB. I also had to constantly count syllables on my fingers and even though all lines had 10 syllables it didn’t read like how Shakespeares did. I could not figure out the Iambic Pentameter. The only part that was “easy” was the couplet at the end because that conveys the emotion I felt when writing it. So far I’m really enjoying studying Romeo and Juliet and it even made me a master sonnet writer.