For this weeks TWIL post I answered the question, “Shakespeare doesn’t show us Romeo and Juliet actually getting married. Any director (movie or play) has the choice to show that wedding or not. What do you think is lost or gained from showing the actual wedding scene?”. Now there’s obviously a lot to consider as a director about this scene. I feel like more productions tend to not show it as it isn’t in the original play so there is no script for it. However, audiences today love a good wedding. Think about any reality tv show, they normally end in a proposal. Something about the way we are now shows that we really enjoy watching or seeing weddings. To help me decide on what I would do if I were directing I made a pros and cons list of SHOWING a wedding scene.

I believe if I were to direct a movie or play of Romeo and Juliet I would show a wedding scene. They appeal to audiences so much and the shots you can create have the potential to be beautiful. Since I’ve grown up in the 21st century I think of all love stories having a wedding and one that I can watch. As far as coming up with the script I would probably have writers write a pretty standard wedding scene and then someone who studies Shakespeare or writes in old English to adapt it for the story. I would only keep this scene short as it isn’t in the original but to show a love story without a wedding is weird for me in this day and age.