Welcome back to Izzy’s blog where today I’ll be writing my third weekly blog post of this unit. This week we moved away from turning points and decided to look at events in twentieth century history though the lens of music. We talked about Marvin Gaye’s “what’s going on”, music and the Vietnam war, music helping with the LGBTQIA+ movement, and music surrounding hurricane Katrina. 

The thing we talked about in class that I got most interested in was the psychological definitions we used. The six terms were confirmation bias, conformity, groupthink, fixation, belief perseverance, and availability heuristic. After reading and learning about all of them my mind was blown, I see these psychological systems all the time in every walk of life. In a way it felt like I had unlocked a handbook to seeing how people worked. 

I was very inspired by these psychology terms so in my Themes folder in craft I made a section for each term. That way whenever any of those ideas showed up in any of the content I learn, I can connect and understand very easily.

In music I believe confirmation bias and groupthink are the two most impactful ones. When listening to lyrics you’re likely to interpret them in a way that agrees to your values and when everyone loves an artist or song it’s hard to have a voice of your own to say you disagree. While people might just see music as something that’s nice to listen to, it’s way more than that. Music tells stories, music is art, music is politics, music is freedom, music is everything. It connects us and I believe artists should stand up for what they believe in with their platform, no matter what they support.