Halloween 1978

John Carpenters film Halloween, realized in 1978 has been widely accepted as a horror film classic and even as the creator of the Slasher genre within horror however why? For what reason dis this film create such an impact on people and is still being watched to this day?

Well one reason why this film was and is so horrifying to viewers is because of the element of mystery throughout this entire film. Though there may not be much blood or gore actually shown on screen we know that it is taking place and the aspect of suspense and mystery creates a horrifying feeling. The sense of mystery can be scene in every aspect of the film, from the camera shots, the motivation of Micheal Myers and also as to what will happen next at the end of the film because things aren’t fully resolved. Another reason why this movie is confusing and also terrifying to people is because we don’t know why Michael Myers is killing people. We know that he is a psycho path and he killed his sister however we have no idea why he is going after Laurie (the main character). The director could have created this plot line because it shows that no matter how perfect you are or if you are living a good life that things can happen to you no matter what, that it could simply just be bad luck.

Another reason why the director could have created this sense of confusion is because this movie was released just as all of the information about the Vietnam war was coming out. This could have been reflected into the movie because of the fear people had. That these people who were good people for no reason other then bad luck were killed and others had to suffer the consequences.

But the real question really is how does John Carpenter actually keep you on the edge of your seat, meaning what film techniques does he use? Well during the entire film John Carpenter was able to edit the film as though you are experiencing what is happening through the characters eyes. By the use of camera angles and music score you feel as though you are seeing something that you shouldn’t however you cant look away. Another style we see throughout is that the movie isn’t flashy but rather to the point. You know as you are watching Halloween that in this style of movie every camera angle has a purpose and every note of music is leading up to something. For these reasons John Carpenters style in the production of Halloween have been widely used by many other directors and films and viewers love the “slasher” style to this day.

Regarding the music in this film it is truly revolutionary to the film industry. Even if you haven’t seen the movie or even watch horror movies in general (like me) you have most likely heard the iconic eerie slasher music.

To further my points that I have mentioned above I read called 20 Things to look for while watching John Carpenter’s Halloween by Paul Schrodt .

This article brings points out that every shot that is included has a purpose. I found the point that when Laurie said “Costaine wrote that fate was somehow related only to religion, where Samuels felt that fate was like a natural element, like earth, air, fire, and water.” This was not simply filler dialogue. Instead this had to do with how Myers is constantly driven back. Another interesting point the article brings out is that in one of the opening scenes of this movie Michael Myers is seen picking up a mask at the age of 6 right before killing his sister. The article mentions that Hill said “The idea was to make him almost humorless, faceless,” which is an interesting point because they were almost trying to make him human less from the very beginning even if you don’t immediately realize it.

In class we have also been reading Mary Shelleys Frankenstein and so how do these to very different (or maybe not so different) Horror stories compare? Well both of the main characters are dehumanized in one way or another. In Halloween it is because he actually is a psychopath but you don’t exactly know why. While in Frankenstein you know that he is not human because he was not created as one. However what is different with Frankenstein is that we get the indication that he wants to be human and to have a partner where as in Halloween we don’t get that information. In the aspect of horror between these two films I feel they are very different. In Halloween we don’t know why Myers is killing people or why he is going after Laurie. While in Frankenstein we know exactly why the creature is going after Victor and why he killed Henry Clerval. That being said though one large common similarity they both share is they are both going after one specific ways.

Overall Halloween was an interesting film and definitely more then you think it would be. This movie is revolutionary to all future films and will never be forgotten.

Classic pieces of literature and women

A classic piece of literature is defined as “To be generally agreed upon as a classic, works meet some common high standards for quality, appeal, longevity, and influence.” In this time many pieces of writing are considered a classic for those very reasons however what does this say about the people and culture at the time of being written. Well to start off the school year, way back in July we were given a classic novel to read over the same so we could get our minds thinking about the very subject. I decided to read (and was the only one to do so) A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

Once we had finished reading we then wrote a paragraph reflecting on why it is a classic. Reflecting on why it was a classic was then a good lead into the next section of this unit, reading and looking into The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare.

We started reading the play as well as looking into women in the time period because that is a key point to understanding this play as it is all about context.

In order to further understand the play we also went to Bard on the Beach, and saw how the shrew could be interpreted to a different time period.

While we were reading/studying the taming of the shrew we were also looking into how women were viewed and treated throughout different time periods. We looked into these things because we would be put into groups, and assigned to an act to recreate. I was put in a group with Mimi and Ethan and we were assigned act five which in other words is the “grand finale”.

In order to find out a suitable time period to reenact the play we then briefly researched 5 different time periods. My group ended up with the 60’s era because the whole class agreed that we wanted to liberate Kate unlike the original script.

Once we had researched and saw what we wanted to include in our interpretation of this scene it was then time to start actually creating our animation. At the time we were daunted by the fact that we had to animate things since all of us in our group did not feel we were good at animation. So to face this task we decided to all work on the animation so we could make it equal and all learn.

We started off by reading our entire scenes script and cutting out large portions of it. We thought that cutting down the script would be needed because we didn’t want a half hour animation.This process took quite some time however once we were done we were all happy with the results and the time we estimated our animation would take. Before we even started animating though, the only sensible PLP thing to do was create a storyboard. So over a weekend as a group we were able to complete our storyboard. The amount of time and effort we put into this story board I feel really shows in our work which makes me proud. We included everything from the exact seconds to what each character would be doing as they talked.

Next once we knew what we wanted to happen in each scene it was finally time to start animating! This was difficult to split up between the three of us as we were animating over the weekend and wouldn’t be able to meet up to work on it and exchange the file. However we were able to problem solve this and the solution ended up being that Mimi does the first scene, I do the second scene and Ethan works on the audio as well as characters. Though we had put in lots of time into this first draft I would not say that we exceeded in the least bit. That being said this first draft allowed us to see what we still needed to cut and how we did want to animate it. Here is that first draft:

As you can see that first draft there were many downfalls however it gave us a good idea. After reflecting on this first draft as a group we came to the conclusion that scene 1 was not necessary to the point we were trying to get across, so we cut it! We also realized after looking more closely that the characters had a white outline around them which distracted the audience from what the characters are saying, so we split up the work and redid the animation using those images. With all of these changes and a few more smaller ones we finally came up with a finished product that we are proud of, so here it is:

Overall this project was a very interesting one to start off the year with. I liked learning all about how literature throughout time has lasted and what makes a piece of text a classic. I also found it interesting how women’s roles throughout history have changed and just to be able to go more depth then we have in previous years I found very interesting and useful.

Another year another TPOL

Well this is the end of Grade 11 and what a year. I have definitely had my ups and downs and in this year I will be going over all that and also answer the question as to why i am ready to move onto Grade 12. The first thing I would like to show to get things started is just a video with some of the things I have done with PLP this year.

The first aspect of PLP this year that I would like to talk about is a project that I am very proud of how it ended up. This is the video created by Izzy and myself regarding the We Shall Overcome unit. I found this to be a very interesting unit that I wanted to learn more about.

The driving question was: How can the actions of an individual change a system? And at the beginning of this unit I knew that the world is and has been very racist however I never really thought of how it had changed overtime which through this unit i learned more about. I learned that there was a lot more to the civil rights movement then Martin Luther King (though he did play a large role) but that instead when people take action that then can change a system. Through this project I think you can see my eagerness to learn. This shows that I have an open mind to learning and thinking of new paths which I know will be effective next year as I will have to make many decisions and learn lots so that is one reason why I feel I am ready to move onto Grade 12. This project also showed that I am able to work in a pair effectively. I feel that me and Izzy did a good job getting things done and splitting up the work effectively which is a useful skill to have,

Next I will be talking about my World on the Brink project. This project was all about the Cold War, the Cuban missile crisis and really why the world was on the brink during the 60’s. Learning about this was interesting  however I was nervous for the final project as it was writing an essay. I have never been a very strong writer even though I understand the information I just don’t know how to put it on paper. However though I may not be the best writer I was try my hardest and want to improve that is why i want to continue to improve my writing skills into my grade 12 year.

The final project or rather course I would like to talk about is PGP. At the beginning of the year I definitely struggled with this. I didn’t know why we were doing this course and to be honest it seemed a little useless. At the beginning I honestly really only enjoyed creating the Dream Board and I feel you could see this in my work as I don’t think I was really putting my all into it.

However as time went on I started to see how what I was reading about and learning would be useful. I started to see that really thinking of the future was important (which stressed me out) and that in order to do that and have a future I needed to set goals wether they be big or small. One example of a goal I set and was then supported was becoming a life guard. I knew that this would be a good skill to have and also a good job thanks to the convincing done by my parents. So in order to get to that point I set goals. I was signed up for the coarse was one goal, then doing the work required for that coarse was the next step ect. So through months and months of swimming and trials I am finally and just recently now a full certified lifeguard and swim teacher which I am proud of and got through thanks to the goal setting and time prioritizing that I learned through PGP. Sol through this you can see that I definitely struggled and had my downfalls and still do. I still struggle with our first things first and efficiently planning my time. However it is getting better slowly and I feel that this progress is one example of why I am ready for grade 12.

Overall grade 11 was definitely an interesting year. I definitely struggled at times and wasn’t sure if I would make it however there were definitely times when I was proud of my work. I cant wait for next year even though it stresses me out and i feel that I’m ready for it as you have heard through this presentation. So that has been my TPol for grade 11 and I would love to hear any questions or comments you have.

Are time machines real?

At this point in the year you probably realize that I am in coarse called PGP. This coarse at the beginning of the year was very confusing in the sense that I didn’t think it would be useful. However as the school year is coming to a close and I am looking back I realize that a lot of the information we learned would have been useful at the beginning of the year or even years ago. The one key aspect I wish I had known long ago is something that everyone thinks about but maybe doesn’t do. This is goals, from how to set them to actually doing what you said you wanted to accomplish. A goal is defined as “the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.” This does not mean that goals have to big (they can be if you want) but rather they can be as small as getting to school on time.

As this is PLP to show my learning I have created a video that expresses what I mean:

Now goal setting was a major part of this coarse however it was what I found most useful in my day to day life. Creating this video for example I had to set a goal and we did this in one way by filling out a pitch form causing myself to have to think and set a GOAL as to what I want to do. This was that pitch form:

Now this may not seem by in depth and I admit that it is not my best work. However I had an idea that I simply did not know how to put down on paper. Anyways, as you can see goal setting was one aspect of this coarse however we had two other major categories which were productivity and the seven habits. So how do goals relate to these two topics?

Well first I will talk about how goal setting related to productivity. Productivity is getting things done in an effective way. As Bruce Lee says:

‘If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you’ll never get it done’

In order to set a goal and achieve it you have to be productive. One example that I learned through this coarse was time blocking. This was setting time to do certain things and sticking to that time for the most part. This keeps you on track and allows you to see how much time things actually take. So thanks to time blocking you can see how much time a goal will likely take and you can then fit that into your schedule.

The second aspect of PGP this year was the book 7 habits of high key effective teens by Sean Covey. This book goes in depth of seven habits that you will benefit from, I believe wether you are a teen or not. You learn about what the habit is and then there is a corresponding work book that helps you see how it applies to your life. The one habit that I am going to focus on in this post is Putting first things First which is habit three.

“Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least”- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

This is the fact that you should prioritize the most important time and put things that aren’t useful after that. This is very useful because it is very easy to simply get distracted and wavy a show for an hour when you should be doing homework. Actually writing down how you spend your time makes you realize that put things that are important ahead of other things is so useful. This is useful for goal setting and achieving because when you have a goal that is important and you want to get done prioritizing what is important is a key point.

Overall the PGP coarse has been so useful in every aspect of my life and I know that I will continue to use these skills in my life now and forever. This coarse has also allowed me to think about what I want to do in the future and how I will achieve that. Though I still don’t know what I want to do after I graduate (which is closer then I think) I now have the skills to analyze steps that I will need to take and what I will need to prioritize in the time to come. So wether it be getting up in the morning or planning where I travel next I am going to put first things first and set a goal so that I can achieve anything!

World on the Brink

During the 1960’s there was so much tension throughout the world especially in America. What with the war not ending long before the 60’s and all the social change as well as the Cold War happening. All of these reasons point to the fact that the world was on the brink, but in this blog post I’m going to go over two specific people and events that is hard evidence for this truth.

The first event I am going to be talking about is the Cold War between the US and the USSR. A Cold War is when there is never actually a physical war, the countries never directly fight each other. Rather the countries get other people to fight for you, though everyone knows it is between you and another country.

Well one key event that occurred during the Cold War was the Cuban Missile crisis. The Cuban missile crisis occurred in October of 1962 and was a 13 da confrontation that occurred between the US and the Soviet Union. This started because the US spotted a ballistic missile deployment in Cuba which was placed there by the Soviet Union. There were such a variety of things that occurred during the 13 days that this spanned over and in PLP we learned about the majority of them, if not all. We watched the movie thirteen days

This is a movie that explains what occurred and what the people involved could have possibly acted like. In this movie Adlai Stevenson who is played by Michael Fairman plays a key role. Because I could see watching it that he possibly changed what the world could have become, I decided to learn more about him. That is why for the essay that we had to write explaining why the world was on the brink I believed that the reason can be explained through Adlai Stevenson saving the world. So without further ado here is my essay:

Isobel DeVille Mrs.Willemse Humanities April 26, 2019 “Do you, Ambassador Zorin, deny that the U.S.S.R. has placed and is placing medium- and intermediate-range missiles and sites in Cuba?”[Adlai Stevenson, UN Secretary council]. Adlai Stevenson the American Ambassador at the UN in 1962 on October 25th was such an important man who kept the world from going over the brink because of his delivery of such an important message. It is important to realize that a few days before October 25th, Adlai Stevenson helped to the lead up of this groundbreaking moment. U Thant, the UN secretary-general from Burma was the messenger between Khrushchev the First Secretary of the Communist Party and American President John F Kennedy, leading up to the conflict at sea however in order to make things run smoothly Stevenson stepped in to help. In a time of crisis when the ships were approaching the US blockade around Cuba, Ambassador Stevenson sent a letter to Khrushchev asking the ships to stop since he “favored the blockade”. “Because it came as a request from the UN secretary-general rather than a demand from the American president, Khrushchev more easily accepted the proposal“[Jim Hershberg, 1995]. Because he accepted this proposal regarding the ships, Khrushchev backed down and agreed to keep the remainder of the ships out of the quarantine zone. However in the event that this proposal came from President John F Kennedy himself this would not have been accepted and would rather be perceived as a threat. For this reason Adlai Stevenson played a role not only in one event that changed the world but rather two. American Ambassador at the UN, Adlai Stevenson was described as “Intellect, wryness, self-deflation, uncertainty, humor, and, above all, charisma”[Maureen-Callahan]. Throughout Stevenson’s speech given at the United Nations Conference that would change the world, you could see all of these qualities come out. He was putting his all into this speech because had the world been launched into a nuclear war who knew if it would be able to return. Previous wars throughout history had caused so much destruction and sadness however if this war were to occur it would be like nothing ever seen before. For these reasons Stevenson’s role as well as the United Nations role we’re so crucial. Stevenson was also very passionate regarding this challenge because he had previously run for Presidential election against Kennedy himself. Although he had lost the nomination of the Democratic Party in 1960 Stevenson still felt a very strong need to help his country, for that reason Kennedy was compelled to offer him the role as the United States Ambassador to the United Nations. The United Nations played such a crucial role in what the world is currently, rather then what it could have been. Had the U.N. not formed in 1945 Stevenson would not have been placed as the UN Ambassador and there could have been a nuclear war tearing the world to pieces. However thanks to the U.N. and the untold truth being revealed in such a dramatic way, that was all able to change. On October 25th, the tenth day of the Cuban missile crisis President John F Kennedy responded to Soviet leader Khrushchev’s letter written the day before referring to the nuclear missiles. There was such high tensions in the air from the beginning of the thirteen days during this nuclear proxy war. The US had to prove to the world that the Soviet Union was hiding information regarding missiles in Cuba. However the Soviets were not willing to give up that information. To prove that the world was on the brink of a nuclear war Adlai Stevenson represented America. US ambassador pressured Zorin to tell the truth regarding the nuclear missiles located in Cuba, and when Zorin refused Stevenson was “prepared to wait until he’ll froze over” [Adlai Stevenson. Eventually with no response everything was answered when pictures taken over Cuba showing the missiles were revealed. This was a groundbreaking moment that took place because one man with the help of a few others felt so strongly regarding this life threatening event. To summarize, Adlai Stevenson was a determined man, ready to do what ever it took to help save the world from a nuclear war. He was the man who kept the world in place and showed everyone the truth that needed to be exposed. Citations “1 Thought on ‘Records of Adlai Stevenson, Ambassador to the United Nations, Now Available to View Online.’” Princeton University, The Trustees of Princeton University, blogs.princeton.edu/mudd/2013/06/records-of-adlai-stevenson-ambassador-to-the-united-nations-now-available-to-view-online/. Dobbs, Michael. “The Day Adlai Stevenson Showed 'Em at the U.N.” The Washington Post, WP Company, 5 Feb. 2003, http://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/2003/02/05/the-day-adlai-stevenson-showed-em-at-the-un/24420f12-5f7a-4f2d-b91e-2b84e04ee6ab/?utm_term=.f9288e967762.projects, Contributors to Wikimedia. “Cuban Missile Crisis Speech to the United Nations Security Council.” Wikisource, the Free Online Library, Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., 24 Apr. 2018, en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Cuban_Missile_Crisis_speech_to_the_United_Nations_Security_Council. “TWE Remembers: Adlai Stevenson Dresses Down the Soviet Ambassador to the UN (Cuban Missile Crisis, Day Ten).” Council on Foreign Relations, Council on Foreign Relations, http://www.cfr.org/blog/twe-remembers-adlai-stevenson-dresses-down-soviet-ambassador-un-cuban-missile-crisis-day-ten.Evans, Michael. The Cuban Missile Crisis, 1962: Anatomy of a Controversey, Jim Hershberg , nsarchive2.gwu.edu//nsa/cuba_mis_cri/moment.htm.

Learning about Adlai Stevenson I could see that the world truly was on the brink of a nuclear war. Were it not for the actions that were taken by Stevenson and hmm exposing the truth in such a dramatic way, the world could be a very different place today.

Now at the beginning of this blog post I said that there were to events/people that prove that the world was on the brink, so who’s the second person? Well to finish off the unit we watched a documentary called “The Times They Are A’ Changin'”. And in that documentary one specific person stood out to me and that was Betty Friedan. Friedan wrote a book about how women were not given a voice and were in stead acting as the husbands maid to take care of the children and the house. In her book called “The feminine mystique” she gave many women a voice to speak out and say that they’re were much more then they were told they were. Though Betty telling the unspoken truth this sparked a social change which would change the world forever. When this all occurred it caused the world to be on the brink as a result.

‘Through these two people you can see that the truth that was told caused the world to be on the brink as well as to save it and improve it. Here is a Venn diagram I created to show how these two people relate.

Overall this was such an interesting to to learn about and it taught me so much about how one person speaking the truth can cause an entire event to change. This unit also taught me so much about history that is necessary to know about. I was also able to improve my writing skills and learn to effectively write an essay which I know will be so helpful in the future. All in all this was a great unit and I can’t wait until our interesting conceptual art project as we move forward in history!

‘Here was the websites used to find out information about Betty Friedan:

https://www.womenshistory.org/education-resources/biographies/betty-friedan
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Friedan
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Betty-Friedan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfgxHKli9CU

We shall overcome

QDo you know how much the truth can impact a society? Well watch this video to see how the truth changed the civil rights movement: 

That video was created by Izzy and myself after a unit we learned called We Shall Overcome.  In this unit we learned all about the Civil rights movement and looked into the question: How can the actions of an individual change a system? At the beginning of this unit I knew that the world is and has been very racist however I never really thought of how it had changed overtime. That there was more to the civil rights movement then simply Martin Luther King. 

For this unit we learned chromatically, meaning starting pre 1950s and ending in 1968. For the 50’s we learned about what slavery and racism was. How in that time there were the Jim Crowe laws that were put in place to segregate the blacks from whites. I found learning about this eye opening because it showed just how terribly people were treated.

While we were learning about this we were also reading the book Dear Martin. This book is about “ Dear Martin, her first novel, is loosely based on a series of true events involving the shooting deaths of unarmed African American teenagers. Shaken by the various responses to these incidents–and to the pro-justice movement that sprang up as a result–Stone began the project in an attempt to examine current affairs through the lens of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s teachings.” -Goodreads.

This book was really interesting to read because it showed how racism is not gone but really is still very present in modern day. How a young boy was shot and killed and how that lead to a domino effect because it was so shocking to the main character who was African American. While we were reading this book we also did an activity called a Socratic Seminar . A Socratic seminar is “a formal discussion, based on a text, in which the leader asks open-ended questions. Within the context of the discussion, students listen closely to the comments of others, thinking critically for themselves, and articulate their own thoughts and their responses to the thoughts of others.” In total this unit we had 5 Socratic seminars that we participated in. The first one was on the first section of the book and it was a little rough to say the least. However as time went on and we got more comfortable saying what we thought and preparing questions for the discussion it got better and better. We also were to prepare a sheet so that we could better prepare for the discussion as well as fill out a sheet after to truly reflect on what was said.

Here are examples of my sheets:

In this unit we also learned about people and events such as Emmitt Till, the montogomery bus boycott and many more events. Here is a timeline of some of the events that were important to the civil rights movement and that we learned about.

Time Line 

1865 Abraham Lincoln created Emancipation amendment: The fifth amendment got rid of slaves
Civil war: The Union; the north won
1865-1877 Reconstruction era: after the war when they rebuilt what was lost
1896 Jim Crow laws: a set of racist rules, separate but equal (a state by state decision as to how they applied)
1954 Brown Vs Board: desegregation of public schools, was still separate and not equal
1955 Emmett Till: Public display of his body to show how terribly he was treated; lead to a trial and a worldwide story about a 14 year old who was killed
1955-1956 Rosa Parks and Montgomery Bus Boycott: Desegregation of buses
1957 Little Rock Nine: Test case
1960 Lunch Counter Sit In: SNCC
1961 Freedom Riders: Desegregate interstate buses
1963 Birmingham: Civil rights act 1964, was a horrible time simply because they were walking the streets. This was when dogs, fire hydrants and more terrible attacked peaceful people
1963 March on Washington: Civil rights act 1964
1964 Freedom Summer: register to vote,3 people killed because they helped people register to vote
1965 Selma To Montgomery Marches: Right to vote
1965 Voting Rights Act
At the beginning of this unit we were told this would be a film heavy unit and I can tell you it definitely was. We watched movies and documentaries such as A Long Walk Home, Selma, 1968 and many other videos and movies. I found this a very effective way of learning things because it showed real life experiences. If I was reading a book I would not be able to see or relate to the things that I saw.
While we were learning all about these life changing events we were also creating the video that you saw at the beginning of the post. This video was based on one of our need to know questions which we had thought of as a class. We were put in pairs and I was happily assigned with Izzy who I haven’t really worked with recently. We decided on the question:

Why is it important for things not to be sugar coated?

We both found this a very interesting topic because as we would soon learn how much of a role the truth played in the civil rights movement. Below I’d out video layout to show what we put into the video.
People are scared of reality, however it is necessary to not sugar coat events such as Emmitt Till, Damiloa Taylor and Carrie Best in order to change the system. Damilola Taylor and Emmitt Till were both murdered by white people because of their race. In both cases the deaths were covered up by the media and it wasn’t until their parents decided to spill out what really happened. Historical: Emmett Till who was only 14 was murdered by Roy and Milo Bryant after he whistled at a white women. His body was shown on display for all to see at a church in south Chicago, and a big crowd showed up. People brought their kids so that they could see what happened to Emmitt. Then the story was published in Jet an African American magazine that spread the story both nationally and worldwide. Emmitts mum not sugarcoating the story caused what could have been one of the first major sparks of the civil rights movement. Current: Damilola Taylor Was murdered by a group of white kids and the police lied about it and said he just tripped on glass. His parents stood up and not sugar coating the whole murder. Even today there is a youth centre in honour of Damilola Taylor. Donald Glover (this is America) Canadian Carrie Best Was born on the 4th of March 1903 in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, Carrie became a civil rights activist. She was sparked by such movement as African American girls forcefully being removed from the Roseland Theatre which caused her to fight back by going to the theatre with her son, and attempting to buy a ticket for the white only area and then sitting there and forcefully being removed by the police. She did not sugar coat to her son because she knew he needed to see what happens. And though she did file a lawsuit and lost she did not give up. Carrie felt so strongly that she created one of the first Nova Scotia African American owned and published newspapers, The Clarion. For a decade, The Clarion covered many important issues and advocated for Black rights. In 1956, it was renamed The Negro Citizen and began national circulation. Resources: Canadian: Websites such as the Canadian encyclopedia as well as reading the Clarion witch Carrie Best published and owned. As well as the CBC article about her, there are many articles on her we will read Current: Past: We watched the movie and we can rewatch certain parts in order to get specific quotes, this will help the video. We also already have notes and a written paragraph on this subject. However we will use other websites/videos to get needed information. Habits of mind: We will use our past knowledge we have learned through this unit to help contribute to the project. We can relate the past situations on people not sugar coating and relate it to current situations. The past blog posts we have done will help us during the video. ISTE standards: We will find the needed information through technology and will also be able to use our past technology skills from the last few years and more specifically the video unit we did last year in order to create the video.

Once we knew what we wanted to say in the video we then created the script.

Thesis: People are scared of reality however the un sugar coated truth is needed to change a system. Question: If these people had sugar coated these groundbreaking moments, would the Civil Rights Movement have still advanced? Intro: Throughout history, ground breaking events have advanced the Civil Rights Movement and have changed multiple systems. However, the reason these events were publicized is because individuals have un sugar coated the truth or in other words not made the truth superficially attractive or acceptable to the public. So the real question is, if these people had sugar coated these groundbreaking moments, would the Civil Rights Movement have still advanced? The truth is, people are scared of reality however the un sugar coated truth is needed to change a system. Canadian: The first example of someone who did not sugar coat the truth is Carrie Best Carrie Was born on the 4th of March 1903 in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia, She was first sparked to make a difference when viola davis was forcefully being removed from the Roseland Theatre. After this experience Carrie was motivated to fight back by going to the theatre with her son, and attempting to buy a ticket for the white only area and then sitting there and forcefully being removed by the police. She did not sugar coat to her son because she knew he needed to see what happens. And though she did file a lawsuit and lost she did not give up. Carrie felt so strongly that she created one of the first Nova Scotia African American owned and published newspapers, The Clarion. For a decade, The Clarion covered many important issues and advocated for Black rights. In 1956, it was renamed The Negro Citizen and began national circulation. As you can see Carrie Best truly did not sugar coat the truth because she saw just how necessary it was for people to see the truth , even her young son. It is important not be oblivious to the world around you. Historic: Emmett Till Another instance when the truth was unsugarcoated and resulted in a contribution towards a movement was when Emmett Till was murdered. Emmett Till was only 14 years old when he was murdered by two white men for wolf whistling at a white women. Emmett wasn’t the only black individual to murdered in that time period, There are so many murders that get pushed under the covers to prevent change and people are afraid to face reality. No one knew what the outcome would be, would the movement just get pushed back? The reason Emmett Till’s event contributed to the civil rights movement was because it was all over the media, all because of Mamie Till. She made the decision to put the body of Emmett Till on display at the funeral. People then saw the truth of what really happened and were horrified. It caused fear, and anger towards white people. Black people were woken up and realized what white people were capable of. If the murder of Emmett Till had been pushed under covers, people would never know what really happened and realized that change needs to happen. Modern: Damilola Taylor A more current event of someone not sugar coating the truth was On the 27th of November 2000, when ten-year-old schoolboy,Damilola Taylor Was murdered by a group of teens. and the police lied about it and said he just tripped on glass eventually bleeding to death even though that is not the truth Damilola Taylor’s parents could have easily accepted this and simply grieved however, they knew what had happened to their son. And so just as Mamie Till had advocated for her son, Richard and Gloria Taylor then advocated for their son. They took to the news to express what actually happened. After a long time finally thanks to DNA evidence it was found out that the boys who killed there son who were only 12 and 13 years old when they killed Damilola. They were then put behind bars but for only for 4 years. ,Once they knew why and how Damilola was killed, The unsugarcaoted truth was spread worldwide through the media. Gloria his mother also confronted the authorities to get their facts straight about her son since she was popular on the news and on various panels. There is even now a BBC documentary about Damilola Taylor to spread the message of what really happened and to make society aware that racism is still a problem today There was even a centre that was set up in 2001 in memory of Damilola Taylor. The Damilola centre is a place where youths can have fun and be away from violence. The truth that was uncovered has woken people up,and revealed imperfections in society. Conclusion: So seeing all of these examples of people who fought for the civil rights movement and did not sugar coat these events. Going back to the question, If these people had sugar coated these groundbreaking moments, would the Civil Rights Movement have still advanced? However from examples such as Carrie Best, Emmett Till and Damilola Taylor revealing the unwanted truth, it had made the world less oblivious to the imperfections in society. Though people may be scared of reality and these were horrible events that should have never happened in the first place, the un sugar coated truth is needed to change a system and that is what helped improve the civil rights movement. We can conclude that for a system to be changed, people need to take action in order to move forward.

So it was time to start creating the video, this was our first draft:

If you watched that you can see just how terribly it was and how much needed to be improved. For example we did not have time to record us which we knew we wanted for the final draft. We wanted the video to be interesting not simply a “book report”. So if you didn’t watch the final draft here it is:

Through this unit I learned so much in general. I learned how the civil rights movement changed the world so much. I learned how people are scared of reality however the un sugar coated truth is needed to change a system. Another thing I learned was just how terribly people were and are treated, that things need to start changing and the only way that is going to happen is through people making a change and influencing others to do the same. We were also able to answer our question: If these people had sugar coated these groundbreaking moments, would the Civil Rights Movement have still advanced? We figured out that no, groundbreaking events can not be sugar coated. If these people had sugar coated these events that they would not have as big of an impact as they did. In the technical aspect I learned even more how to equally work with my partner so that it was not unfair. Another video technique I learned was how to create a video that was interesting and included historical events while also not creating a book report type video. 

Overall throughout the time of this unit I learned so much and it has sparked a curiosity in me to make a difference for something that I believe in and to continue to learn about the civil rights movement because it changed the way the world is today!

When a negative event happens something positive can come out of it

The story of Emmitt Till getting shot for no reason other then supposedly whistling at a white women is an infuriating one. From the beginning of this story to how the trial ended. That people for no reason at all other then there skin color have had to live in fear there entire life, segregated, and could not even look at white people does not make sense. It shows just how stupid people at that acted, and that even after the Murder was committed they still didn’t comprehend just how terrible these white men acted. After the fact however it is amazing that Emmetts mum was able to show just how wrong it was, and that people had to see what had happened to her son. This started the civil rights movement and eventually changed the system. 

The story of Emmitt Till shows that when something negative/bad happens it causes people to make a stand to try and change it. To prove my point there have been multiple examples since then that have showed that this is true. One of the most prominent cases being the spark of the black lives movement. Trayvon Martin was shot by George Zimmerman in Sanford, Florida February 26, 2012. When Trayvon went to visit his father in a gated community, The Retreat at Twin Lakes in Sanford, Florida he did not know what he was in for. On February 26th Trayvon was walking to the corner store to get an iced tea and skittles while talking to his girlfriend. Not long after beginning his walk he realized he was being followed. He was being followed by George Zimmerman, one of the residents who was selected to patrol the grounds carrying a firearm in response to a rash of robberies and burglaries. Zimmerman phoned the police only to be told to stand put as he was not a threat. However Zimmerman decided to ignore this decision and instead shot 17 year old Trayvon Martin. This resulted in a lawsuit against Zimmerman as he had shot a boy who did nothing wrong just as Emmitt Till had done nothing wrong. However in both cases even if neither of the murderers had to deal with any consequences it did change the system. 

Emmitt Till getting shot caused the world to start talking about how unfair African Americans were being treated. Showing his torn up body, his mother saying speeches nationwide and protests going on worldwide showed that a change needed to happen and people would do anything to do that. When Emmitt Till died in Glendora, Mississippi, near the Tallahatchie River on August 28th, 1955 it caused a spark of the civil rights movement. 

When Trayvon Martin was shot in Sanford, Florida, on February 26th 2012 it caused the black lives matter movement to begin. When he was wrongly shot it caused people to protest, and fight against the racism that was still happening. In 2013, three radical Black organizers—Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tometi—created a Black-centered political will and movement building project called #BlackLivesMatter as a result of Martin being killed.. On the black lives matter website they state “Black Lives Matter is an ideological and political intervention in a world where Black lives are systematically and intentionally targeted for demise. It is an affirmation of Black folks’ humanity, our contributions to this society, and our resilience in the face of deadly oppression”. The black lives matter movement has effected significant change locally and nationally, including the ousting of high-profile corrupt prosecutors. It has also made people want to make a difference, and changed society. If the black lives matter movement had not started who knows if the #metoo movement would have happened comply because people now have the confidence to speak out because this movement has changed things. That not to say that racism is gone, it definitely is still very much alive however more people are speaking out and do want to make a difference. 

Recently in class we have also been reading Dear Martin a book written by Nic Stone. When Justyce a teen African American boy is handcuffed and almost arrested it causes an out break. Since he was treated differently it sparked the community/ one of his school classes to start speaking up about the issue so that they could turn the negative into positive. And even though this is a fictional story it is a very real event that happens worldwide everyday. 

Between these few examples (there are many more as well) you can see just how much change people can make when they want to. And when they want to is when they are outraged by a negative event that happened. So truly you can see that in some cases in order for a change a negative event has to happen. 

M’Pols

It’s come to that time of the year again when its time to present our learning. Everything from our goals, “failures”, projects I am proud of to projects that I feel I could have done better. Through this presentation I am going to talk about how I am going to progress as a learner before the end of the school year. So to start this project I am going to talk about the humanities course.

Thinking back I realize just how much we have gone over, from the Mahnhatten Project regarding the Atomic bomb and then leading into the 50’s and communism and the crucible we have covered a lot. This year I have found all of these topics and projects interesting however one specific project I would like to talk about is the History in 5 video project. This was in accord to the Mahnhatten field school and unit. I found this a very interesting unit talking about the Cold War, the science behind the bomb, why the bomb was created and its affect on both present and past times. At first when we were learning about everything it confused me as it was a lot to take in. From learning the science behind the bomb to how all of the countries interacted with each other  during the Cold War and then the many views on the subject. However thanks to the many worksheets that we filled out during the time leading up to the trip I was able to understand (for the most part) what we were learning.

And though I did eventually get to understanding everything I do wish I had asked more questions as it would have lead me to understanding the topic sooner which i feel in the end would have lead to a better learning outcome. That is one way I am going to progress as a learner by the end of the year, by asking questions to my teachers, parents and fellow students when I need help. During the project the final product was the History in 5 video and I was in a group with Claire and Simon and we looked into 5 interesting facts about the Mahnhatten Project. I feel that we did good however I wish that I had spoken up about my opinion on what we were doing more so. For example while we were at the Hanford Site and on the bus tour my group found it hard to get interviews as other groups were ahead of us or we were focusing on the area and what we had to film at each location. So in that sense I wish that I had spoken up and said that we needed to simply push forward and get the interview. I also wish that in the video itself I had memorized my script so that it would have looked better, which is one thing I would improve on if I were to do this project again. However overall I was proud of the video and the information that we included in the video.

Then there’s our PGP class, at the beginning of the year I was confused as to what this course had in store. The first aspect I would like to talk about is actually a FAIL. We were introduced to time blocking at our last PGP meeting and though I have been putting in all of my classes and most of my activities I have found it difficult to plan out my time. To actually sit down and figure out what needs to be done and when. This is one thing I would like to improve upon because in the end it will help my progress as a learner.

The next aspect I would like to talk about in PLP is something I’m proud of. We have been reading the book What do you really want? And have been filling out forms along the way. At first I didn’t understand why we were doing it and in the start I did procrastinate however once I started reading it I realized that it was helpful. For example form seven is all about goals that we want to achieve and having to actually write it out and think of them has really put things into perspective for me. From what I want to do once I graduate, to a current part job I want to get as well as other personal goals.

In this meeting I have shown you a few examples of my work and I know there are things I have to improve on to become a better learner however I’m wondering and this is a question to you, what steps I should be taking to improve my communication skills in order to further improve my learning.

A new way to look at the exhibition

As you may know by now (since I’ve been in PLP since grade 8) every winter we have an exhibition and every year it seems to change. One year we looked into Star Wars, last year we had to find stories and interview people for podcasts however this year was debatably one of the largest challenges. We were reaserching communism, the 50’s, the play The Crucible by Arthur Miller as well as more. So you may be a bit confused how this alrelates to each other as well as the exhibition, well in this blog post I will be explaining all of that.

We first started this project by first looking into the play The Crucible by Arthur Miller written in 1953 by Arthur Miller. This play was based on the Salem Witch trials which took place in Massachusetts Bay Colony during around 1692. This is story tells of a time when girls in a small town in Massachusetts were found dancing in the forest and were said to be conjuring spirits which resulted in one of the girls (Betty) to be put in a coma like state. At this time this was not socially acceptable and everyone in the community seemed to have an opinion on the topic. There are many layers to the story regarding the characters interactions with each other and how they expressed them. At one point in the story Giles Corey a professor from a nearby who new how to spot a witch came and tried to help deciliter everything and everyone started blaming each other for things they didn’t do or possibly did (who knows). Then people start to get arrested and brought into the trials and eventually even led to multiple death penalties due to the witch accusations. This is a VERY brief explanation and could have so much more information as there are so many layers and details to this story however for the purpose of this blog post that’s the general idea of simply the story.

To show some of the understating we learned through the play we wrote creative blog posts we had to right three blogs regarding three topics which we could choose from a list of ten. I chose to write first about the squestion: Abigail (one of the characters) was a strong, domineering influence on Mary Warren. When did the power or control of someone else influence you?

(click the pictures to go to the blog posts on these subjects)

And then about: Read “How to Spot a Witch”. Write a paper or create something similar to this essay on how to spot a _________. You fill in the blank: example: How to Spot a Liar. How to Spot a Surfer. Etc.

And finally to Describe a time when you have felt isolated.

Then once we had a general background of the crucible, that time period and the personalities within the book it was time to start looking into the future… the 50’s. This would all help us in the upcoming exhibit but first we had to learn how. So to learn about this topic we watched videos as well as being taught by our teachers on keynote. So here are some of the notes I took while learning all of this.

The Fifties Baby Boom: Following WWII, North America experiences a spike in birth rates This generation of “baby boomers” was the result of a strong postwar economy The US added 4.24 million new babies to the population every year between 1946 and 1964 Americans felt confident they would be able to support a larger number of children The GI bill was a plan that allowed soldiers to come home get free schooling Baby boomer Connections Great Depression Move from the farm to the city Urgency of wartime Gl (government issue) Bill Civil rights movement Vietnam War Second wave of feminism Growth of suburbia: In the postwar era, many Americans moved away from cities and into suburbs, helped by the GI bill benefits that guaranteed home loans Mass production techniques made it possible to build homes faster and cheaper than ever before After WWII, cookie cutter homes sprang up outside metropolitan areas-not grand palaces, Suburbia came to symbolize the “American dream”: 2.5 Kidd’s, a dog, and a house with a white picket fence This became one of the most iconic and enduring images in American culture- and the object of both praise (as evidence of a high standard of living) and ridicule (as evidence of conformity and materialism) The postwar exodus to the suburbs was part of a vast reorganization of power and money that affected industry, race relations, and gender roles Two thirds of Americans lived in suburbs William Levit Levittown “its the good life in the suburbs” The Eisenhower Era: President Dwight D. Eisenhower was a popular war hero whose eight-year presidency (1953-1961) was characterized by peace and prosperity, despite Cold War tensions and nuclear anxieties During this presidency the nation’s consumer culture flourished. Worker’s wages rose, the baby boom reached its peak and the suburbs grew rapidly Supported the largest public works project in US history: the interstate highway system Was the president throughout basically all of the 50’s Interstate highway was built also for military use The Eisenhower Era of the 1950’s was a time unprecedented economic growth and prosperity GDP (gross domestic product) grew by an astonishing 150% during the period from 1945 to 1960 In the 1950’s, with only five percent of the world’s population, the US economy produced almost half of the worlds manufactured products The US drove three quarters of the world cars and consumed half of the world’s energy The Cold War framed Eisenhower’s foreign policy, frequently adopting an “us-versus-them” mindset Eisenhower’s provided aid to dictators friendly to US interests (the Shah of Iran, Barista in Cuba) and authorized covert CIA missions to overthrow governments sympathetic to the Soviets Did not go to war in Vietnam when communists took control in 1954, but did supply South the Vietnam with military advisers and equipment “Kind, Gentle, Tough leader, reserved ” – the Uncle you look up to Was the job of the president to not allow war to begin was what Eisenhower believed Because of that military background he thought of all backgrounds and details Presentation; perception is not always reality Anti communism: Revelations that spies inside the US atomic program had passed secrets to the Soviet Union set off a nationwide panic that communist spies might be infiltrating American institutions The US government stepped up loyalty programs and purged itself of anyone deemed a security threat Individuals believed to be particularly susceptible to bribery or blackmail, such as debtors or homosexuals, were summarily dismissed The Rosenberg Trials Schools and universities fired teachers whi=o refused to swear an oath that they were not communists Even civil rights organizations like the NAACP and the Urban League moved quickly to rid themselves of communists to avoid any accusations of subversion Although a tiny fraction of those who lost their positions were actually connected with the USSR in any way Called the red or the red menace because the soviet flag is red Formed in 1938, the house Committee on Un-American Activities or HUAC was a special representatives tasked with investigating subversive individuals and organizations In the 1950s HUAC turns its attention to hunting “reds” Allegations that Hollywood was rifle with communists led HUAC to investigate many actors, writers and directors Republican Senator Joseph McCarthy took advantage of this widespread paranoia to advance himself politically McCarthy relished the spotlight; for more than four year McCarthy raised against supposed communists, democrats and homosexuals Ne never produced any evidence against anyone, but even those powerful enough to stop him didn’t because they were to scared The use of the term McCarthyism has come to describe the practice of making unsubstantiated accusations McCarthy finally went to far in 1954 when he initiated hearings against the US army; the televised hearings showcased McCarthys increasingly erratic behaviour and reliance on guilt ny association rather then evidence In December 1954 the US senate voted to censure McCarthy McCarthy died of complies alcoholism less then three years later Destroyed by the power of television

Then with all of this knowledge it was then time to actually start the project! We first had to figure out what we actually wanted the exhibition to look like, meaning what are the main points that we learned about that we want to show, how are we going to show them and how they will all connect to each other. At first I was hesitant as to how a whole class project would work simply because of our previous class project on Lord of the Flies and just how intense everything got. However thankfully and surprisingly everything went great and as a class I feel we worked well and were able to achieve lots. In the end we decided we were going to have 6 stations and there would be 2 to 3 people at each station and then four guides that would lead people to each station. Then we were each put int our groups so that we could then figure out everyone’s characters and what physically was needed for this project, since we had such a large space to fill (the gym).

This soon changed as it was not yet approved by our teachers

I was assigned to a group with Ryan and we would be the station that shows the typical 50’s nuclear family. For mine and Ryans area we were making a nuclear family so we wanted to show a typical house and that meant I was a house wife and Ryan was the husband. We had a kid and I was pregnant as the typical family was two and a half kids (meaning one was on the way). We also mentioned in our scene consumerism as it was such a key role in the 50’s and influenced a lot of people. And as all scene mentioned it in some way, we talked about communism and related it to the following scene.Once in our groups we had to get the script done and with thanks to our script team I feel that everyone’s stations had a good script that was interesting and made sense. Here is the script of our scene so you can fully understand:

Take away from the scene: The perfect family isn’t really perfect, consumerism can take over and not everything you see is true. Theme: conformity, status quo. Symbol: Camera with a picture already taken that is handed to an audience member by the guide because the guide is learning about the “nuclear family” so that they can fit in. Roles (2) Isobel: Susan Ryan: Patrick Character info Patrick/Ryan Costume: Nice fancy clothes, Dress shirt, Dress Pants, Tie, Fedora. Role: Father in nuclear family Hair + makeup: Hair gelled back Want/need: Patrick is a veteran of WWII and after going to school and getting a good job with the GI Bill he just wants time with his family to relax and celebrate. Has no intentions to go back to war or any communist ideals. Susan/Isobel Costume: Dress, Pearls (Isobel has these) Role: Mother in nuclear family Hair + Makeup: Typical 50’s makeup, 50’s hair. Want/need: She is a typical 50’s housewife who just wants to fit in Setting Description (what do we see?): 1950s cookie cutter house Drawing (outline where stuff is): Props (list and where getting): Red couch – (library) 50’s Blender – (simon?) Table – (library) Table cloth - Record player – (Isobel or simon) Lamp - Holiday lights - Tea set – izzy Rug - Plant - Chair - Doll – Mimi [Guide to the audience before they enter the scene] Guide: So today we're going to visit a so called “perfect family” in the suburbs of LA. Though it doesn’t really matter what house we go to because they’re all basically the same. Anyway let's head in so you can see for yourself [the audience and guide enter a 1950s style living room with a tv, record player, blender, and a couch to see the soldier/dad (Patrick) and his wife (Susan) sitting on the couch watching the TV. Susan is holding a small baby] [Patrick looks up and sees the guides and audience. He smiles] Guide:Hey Patrick, thanks a ton for hosting this party. I brought some of the new neighbours if you don’t mind Patrick: Hey, glad to see you made it to our little bash! Everyone’s welcome in our humble little pad Susan: Make yourself at home. Have some jello salad! [she offers a plate of jello to the guide]. [The guide accepts the jello salad, looking a little disturbed] Guide: Thanks, Susan. [Turns to Patrick] How’s the daughter? Patrick: Well, it’ll be a miracle if she ever sleeps through the night, but we love her all the same. [Patrick and the guide share a chuckle] Guide: Patrick, you’re a big tickle, you know that? Patrick: Well, it is a party. Say, let me show you our new blender! Susan loves it– I expect she’ll be making jello milkshakes soon enough. Or some weird craving– she’s pregnant again, you know! [Patrick picks up a blender from a shelf and shows it off] Guide: Congratulations. Can I get a picture of your perfect, soon-to-be-larger family with the blender? [takes the photo, the scene then freezes, and the guide hands the picture to an audience member] Guide tells the audience member: Why don’t you hold onto this, it could help us blend in later on. [Scene resumes] Guide to Susan: So Susan, how far along are you? Susan: We just found out a week ago. Baby Audrey’s going to be a big sister! Guide: Well, golly gee! And Pat, how’s the job going? Are you going to be able to support all your lovely ladies? Patrick: Sales are good! Sale are good. Everyone wants something shiny, it seems. Guide: It has been a bleak few years. That GI Bill sure helped though, eh? Cushy sales job and a nice little house in the suburbs? Patrick: It sure did, Charlie. We’re on cloud nine here. It’s amazing what old Ike has done for this country! [they turn to the tv, which has been displaying a video of Eisenhower] Guide: Oh, he’s changed things, that’s for sure. Yessiree. Big changes from Ike. [He watches the tv in silence for a few seconds, then turns back to Patrick and Susan, shaking his head a bit as if just awoken] This is a lovely party, Susan. Susan (smiling): Why, thank you, Charlie! I’m so glad you could make it. What with the baby and all, it’s been difficult having many guests lately. [Her face saddens a bit] I guess a second baby will make it harder still. [Patrick, seeing her sadness]: It’s alright, Susan. We won’t need so many guests when our house is full of a perfect, happy family. Why, if anything we’ll long for the peace and quiet of being alone! Susan: I do like peace and quiet. Guide: Especially peace, eh? I think we’re all big fans of that. Susan: Yes, I think so. [she steps to turn off the tv, and instead puts on music] I see brought with you some of those hip and happening younguns. (turns to audience) I bet you’ve all heard the new tunes that are playing these days. [They quiet for a few seconds to listen to the music. It’s Bing Crosby.] Patrick: Say, have you heard about all of those people getting arrested for communism? Guide: I didn’t even know there were communists in America Susan: Oh, there definitely are, and people have started speaking out about it. We’ve been hearing people rally about it all day. Such an annoyance Patrick: Just the other day my brother was accused of communism, so I can see why the two people out there are protesting. McCarthy is taking innocent people away from their families as it’s becoming a kind of witch hunt! Why don’t you go check out the rally that’s going on out there. Guide: Maybe, we might go check it out. We do have to be on our way anyways. Have a good night you two. [The guide leads the audience out, and they move to scene 2]

Then since we knew our stations, had our scripts and knew our characters it was time to start building!

The layout of the gym we planned for all the stations

A few of us painting a background

Some classmates painting a stop sign for the street scene

This truly was a team effort

And finally it was the night of the exhibition! Since it was also the day of the Seycove alumni basketball game we started setting up at 3 pm. This was a quick turn around as we only had until 6pm to get everything up. In that time we came across a few problems, the first and largest problem was that the wall that we were going to use as a divider to split up the sections was not working. And so we had to find a different way to split up the gym and we did that by use curtains that we hung as well as backings that are used for concerts. In the end the teachers actually thought it worked out better, and I believe it didn’t look bad either. Here are some pictures from the night:

Overall this truly was an amazing project and I learned so much. I learned about the 50’s, communism, the crucible as well as how to work in large groups and problem solve when things don’t go as planned. When things don’t go as planned you cant panic and simply give up. You have to face the problem and find a different solution, I feel that thanks to our previous Destination Imagination years that I was able to overcome these challenges that as a class we faced. In this project I truly do feel that I learned a lot and that it sparked my curiosity about the 50’s and communism. And really overall it taught me that I would be a pretty good 50’s house wife (even though at the time i may not have enjoyed it).

Are you an easily influenced person?

Have you ever been in a situation where you are influenced or peer pressured by your friends? Well many people have felt that pressure to maybe fit in with the crowd so as not to be different but why? Well there are many reasons for it, one of those reasons being that we grow up being influenced by others. Are parents influence us to act a certain way or even not act in a certain way so you are taught to be influenced. At a certain point you may and probably are being influenced without even realizing it. However not all influence is positive, sometimes it can lead to negative effects and even regrets. In the book The Crucible by Arthur Miller a good example of someone having control or influence over someone is Abigails strong influence on Mary Warren. Marry Warren was found in the forest when the girls were conjuring spirits however she did not participate because she may not have felt comfortable. However when the witch trials begin Abigail influences her to condem other witches which she knew were innocent people but Abigail basically controlled her and made her condem them up until a certain point when Abigail turns on Mary warren.

Now this may be an extreme example that involved witches and many innocent people getting hung as a result of this one girl have control over not only Mary Warren but many of the girls. However today its very easy to be influenced, I know I have. One example of when I was influenced is nothing in comparison. Last year I went to Playland with a group of friends, and we were doing all the rides and having fun and then we decided to get lunch. Now after lunch I didn’t feel great but didn’t think much of it, and then everybody wanted to go on Alien Abduction, a ride where it basic just spins you around in circles. This was when I voiced up my opinion that I wasn’t feel great and neither was another girl but everyone else said we would be fine. So I went on the ride however that was not the smartest idea, right after I proceeded to get sick as a result of being influenced by the others to go on this ride.

Here is a picture I drew of the ride:

Now this may be small in comparison to a court charge, it still is an example of the influence wether good or bad people can have on you.

1 2 3 11