Star Wars Episode VII

image

I saw the new Star Wars movie! It was great now I won’t do any spoilers but it is action packed. I personally liked it better then the older movies. Now to corespond with the new movie coming out we did a Star Wars. The night before the movie came out we had our Star Wars exhibition. Where everyone in PLP grade 8 & 10 created a question about Star Wars that they could look into and present. Now there were a variety of things from dresses to creating a movie to dancing. And I chose to do mine about the Death Star and what a huge design flaw was.

I found out that the huge flaw was in the first movie when Luke shoots into the exhaust port and the Death Star blows up that shouldn’t be like that. So I decided to recreate it so that there wasn’t that huge of a flaw. I changed it by not having 1 exhaust port but 2, also by using an energy recovery system. Having two pipes with one with new air coming in and the other letting old air out and then crossing over the two not only protects the Death Star but also saves energy. Because when the old air going out crosses under the new air coming in it heats up that air and then you could distrubt it through out the Death Star keeping it heated. If you want see my presentation here is a link to a slide show I made click Here to see it.

Me at a station showing of my project

Me at my station showing of my project

The exhaust port on the Death Star

The exhaust port on the Death Star

A Death Star model of what should happen

So that was what I found out about the Death Star. It was a great experience because I did learn a lot. At first I didn’t understand but then it just came to me and I understood it all of a sudden. Overall it was great and I learned what an exhaust port was and whole bunch of other mechanical things and I had a great time doing it.

Bye for Now!

The Legend of the Polygonians

Made with Repix (http://repix.it)

In my last post I talked about making a quilt with a group about a myth. This myth was created by Willa, Ethan, Adam and me. Our myth was about the civilization of the Polygonians, a civilization that we made up. Along with the myth we had to create a quilt, so each of us picked a part of the story and had to create a quilt square about it. In the end we will be sewing them together to create a big cozy quilt. Now here is the story!

The finished quilt square

The finished quilt square

The first part of the story was done by Ethan this was the part where we meet Cordelia a girl from Astoria who doesn’t like it there because she thinks it is discriminatory and wants to go to Canada because she thinks Canadians aren’t discriminate but can’t leave USA. Meanwhile Poseidon the god sees leadership in her and wants her to create a civilization based around him. He telepathically tells her to go onto flight 19 the first plane to crash in the Bermuda Triangle so she can start a civilization.

That is where my quilt square comes in my part of the story is when she is on the plane. And there is a huge storm happening and Cordelia doesn’t know what is happening because Poseidon told her she was going to Canada. She crashes into the Bermuda Triangle where she is transforming into a Polygonian which is a goose/fish/beaver person and in the corner you can see Poseidon doing this.

The third part of the story was done by Adam this is where Cordelia is done her transformation and realizes that she has changed. She swims around for weeks discovering what she can do. With her is Kai the guy, he was on the plane when it crashed and was the only other person to survive. He transforms into a goose/fish/beaver person with Cordelia becauce she is going to start a civilization and needs him. After all of this and the weeks of swimming they finally find a beautiful island in the Bermuda Triangle.

And finally Willa finishes it off where Cordelia and Kai the guy create there civilization together. Passing on there history and values to there civilization. They also decided to call themselves the Polygonians because they are in the Bermuda Triangle. As time goes on they are remberd for this Legend of the Polygonians.

The End

My first draft Quilt Square

My first draft Quilt Square

(Look at my last post Ouch I Poked Myself if you want to now how we made that story and what we went through to get to this story.)

To make that we drew on our iPads using the app Paper, we then printed them out on fabric. It was really interesting how what you just drew on an iPad and it was now on fabric. We didn’t print it first time we drew but after a couple of drafts we got there.

Almost finished quilt square.

Almost finished quilt square.

We also had to do the actual sewing also. At first I had no idea what to sew but then it just started coming to me. First I did the border and then all the actual quilting inside. I did poke myself a couple of times but I’m okay.

Here is a video of making it.

Bye for Now

Ouch I Poked Myself

Recently we were learning about myths and how they are created and the heroes inside the story. So to tie in all of this our groups made a myth and hero. To finish that unit we have created a quilt through our group. Each member had to create a square and we are all going to put it together this week. Our group consists of four people. We had to make charts, storyboards and it was a very long process. Working together wasn’t the problem because we all had ideas and we put them into one myth and quilt. But, the real difficulty was that it had to be perfect and ours was good and now is pretty perfect but it took like 50 times to go through and even if one word was out of place we had to go back and change it. Now that took a couple classes and you might be wondering what this myth is about we’ll you will have to see in my next post.

1st draft of the story board.

1st draft of the story board.

Polygonian Storyboard

The final draft of our storyboard. Quit a difference from the first.

So you can see we put a lot of work into this myth and in my next post I will show the quilt itself and my quilt square.

So bye for now!

Music to my Ears

This week or rather my whole life I have listened to music whether it is in the car or at home.  I am surrounded by it. I have been going to concerts since an early age.  Now the music I like to listen to ranges from indie to classical though I am not a huge fan of heavy metal or top 40 pop music. Sorry to all of those who do. The music I like is both old and new for example I like Louis Armstrong but then I also like Lorde and also lots of other bands and artists as well. My family also loves music we never stop playing it in our house, it is always the first thing to go on in the morning  and the last thing to go off at night.  Currently I have been listening to a lot of Lorde, I like some of her older pieces like the song Royals. I find that the lead singer Ella Marija Lani Yelich-O’Connor or also simply known as Lorde has a great voice. Here is her song Royals hope you like it too!
Bye for now!

Fixing the Death Star

Star Wars is such a huge thing this year with the new movie to coming out December 18. So in class, we are going to go see it and we also have a project we are doing about Star Wars.  This project is about anything to do with Star Wars and I have decided to research huge flaws in the Death Star. I know, I know it’s the Death Star but it deserves a little help. The big flaw was in the very first movie when Luke blew up the Death Star and they shoot into the exhaust port, people shouldn’t be able to shoot into it and if they do it shouldn’t blow up.  Over the next week I will be researching that flaw and  when I figure out what to do I will keep you updated . In the meanwhile I will also be getting ready to see the new Star Wars episode VII movie.

Bye for now!

Look Over Here!

Over the past couple of weeks in class we have been learning about advertising. To do that we all made 3 print ads. A business ad, a natural landscape ad and an advocacy ad (advocacy is having principles) The business ad is for South Beach Fish Market a little fish market (duh) that is really amazing! The next one the, natural landscape is of Canon Beach a really beautiful beach in Oregon. And finally there is an advocacy ad where it is about leaving animals in there home. All of these advertisements were done in either the app canva or phoster. Two apps that are helpful when making posters.

So there pretty great aren’t they! All of this was shot in Oregon since our class went there and it was really fun. I would definitely recommend going and seeing these places for yourself.

Comment to give your feed back. Thanks!

Feel The Force Friday!

Today in class it was Feel the Force Friday. We took a quiz to see who we are as a Star Wars character. I turned out to be Obi Wan Kanobe. I think this describes me pretty well because I  don’t want any conflict or problems but when they do come I will be ready!

1 9 10 11