Tpols Learning Portfolio

Grade 9 is almost over, and it’s time for another SLC, this time Tpols. The reason the name is different is because we have to give an argument of why we should be in grade 10, instead of the traditional SLC, where you simply talk about everything you think you did well, and not well.

Growth

I feel I have shown a lot of growth when it comes to work and being consistent with it, and being a learner. I have been a lot more improved with my work I feel, and the quality has been a lot higher. An example of this is my Epistolary Story, I feel like I put a lot of effort and time onto making it a very interesting, unique story that was different from the other students.

Growth Mindset

I feel like my growth mindset has improved over this year, as I have improved my problem solving skills, and the way I think about work and the things I do in my everyday life. I feel like this has improved a lot, and has helped me a lot throughout the year, and that’s why this is apart of it.

That’s the end of this blog post, I hope these help you understand that I deserve to be in grade 10. See ya 🙂

The Things I Carry Learning Portfolio

So, we recently had to make a keynote presentation on the things we carry for Health and Career, and we all had to talk about 10 things we carry, mentally and physically.

The things I chose for physical were my backpack, earbuds, iPad and music. I chose these because they were very impotant to me, and are very essential in my everyday life. My backpack is like the key to everything, my earbuds help me get the best quality out of what I am listening to, and music helps me focus and be more efficient. The final thing for the physical thing is my really good hand eye coordination, this helps with my writing and sports.

The things I chose for mental were my optimism, because it keeps me motivated and energized, my memories so I can remember great times, and remember that there are more to come. Next were my morals to help me think of other people and their perspectives, and whether what I am doing is right or wrong. Then there were my goals, to keep me more motivated and optimistic about the future.

We also had to include many different features for the keynote, like magic move and grouping. I used the magic move when talking about optimism, with the smiley face coming in from the right. The grouping was for everything inside the iPad, at the beginning. That’s the end of this blog post, see ya 🙂

Blue Sky Exhibition

So, another Blue Sky Exhibition. This time we had different groups for the demographics of our projects, so we could theme different areas based on that, and make it much easier to have a broad theme, and it would also mean that it is more relatable to the people that are coming to see the exhibition, as it is something they can understand.

My project was an iPad holder, designed for parents that kids are dropping there iPads a lot, and will reduce costs on if they would have to buy a new iPad. The iPad holder would sit on your chest, and you could adjust the height and position of it. I was in the tween section for this, because I felt only Tweens would be carrying there own iPad around, but would still have the risk of dropping it, as they are younger and maybe a little clumsier.

I had two prototypes set up, the second and third, which were the most interesting and intriguing, because of how different they were. I would have had the first one there, I just didn’t have it available at the time. The two prototypes were setup behind signs of the name of them, and there were also prices of materials that were on the side as well.
The feedback on how my project looked and was shown was very good, and a lot of people said that I was very creative, and thought it was a very good idea for Tweens.

Our section had a big chunk of the library taken up, including the big racetrack. We had pop music playing, as Tweens listen to pop music a lot. We also had a cool logo type thing on the board behind the racetrack, which looked like something Tweens would really like, and would have a poster of something with the same aesthetic as it. There was also a nerf shooting gallery set up close to where the toddler section was, which was also very much something Tweens would still do, and relate to. In fact, I saw some teens interacting to it, so if they were, then I’m sure Tweens definitely would.
Overall, I felt the section and projects really related to Tweens, and was very well put together.

Frankenstuffie: The Untold Story

So where did this adventure all start? It started when we were learning about The Martian, the bestselling book based on a man having to live on mars and survive in the environment, making improvised things, and even growing food on there.

Our job was to make a kind of similar (very similar) story about an animal in an environment somewhere in Canada, that adapts and changes to the environment around them, mentally and physically. We learnt about the different regions, and what they all mean.

Now started the process of making the stories we had to write, every story had to be specifically

Making Fantasy Real

So, the infamous question that we have all been answering through our videos, what draws us to imaginary worlds? That is what we all answered in our videos, differently but uniquely. My answer was through the characters and detail.

My video was on the Frozen ride, in Epcot. The style of video was very much amateur, but well edited, and I feel like it was very well put together. One could call the style of editing “gorilla filmmaking” which is a term for many films/ videos meaning everything is well made, but isn’t necessarily very professional to an extent, much like how they film documentaries. I think that style fit very well with the video, since none of us are professional filmmakers, but know how to make a good film/ video, and I feel this video shows that very well. The videos and audio was very good quality, and the music really brought everything together.

The information given, was quite plentiful as well, with everything about the rides history, to what it looks like, and what it’s based off. The reason I chose the ride, was because it was the most modern ride out of all of them, so I could explore what the people at Disney imagineering are making alright now, and how realistic it all looked, compared to some of the older rides; and it did, the characters looked very realistic, and the movements of them were very natural, and made them look like real people. This was great, because it really fit with my answer for the question, and showed that it helped the experience of the ride a lot.

Here is the video, if you want to see it, which I recommend you do. Here are some pictures of the process of editing and recording the audio for the video:

I Am What I Eat

Delicioso

If I am what I eat – 

My hair is spaghetti, simple and lots of it.

My eyes small Pepperoni Pizzas like me a complicated mixture of hot and spicy sausage and dependable cheese.

My mouth an Italian sausage because I love Italian sausage.

My ears would be zucchini healthy and delicious. 

My nose macaroni, a lot of me macaroni, I eat a LOT of macaroni.

My clothes made of drumstick ice-creams – 

The blood in my veins bolognese sauce because tomato based sauces are my favourite. 

The tears in my eyes, just plain water, I drink mostly just water. 

The mush of my brains mash potato, nutritious but with a bit of salt.

My fingers and toes carrots crispy and delicious.

My shoes Yorkshire pudding for a bit of Blighty to walk me around.

I am a delicious assortment of Italian and British food.  Simple flavours and complicated combinations from plain to spicy.  I am complicated and yet easy to understand.

Student Lead Conference Blog Post

Hello, and welcome to my Student Lead Conference of this term. Given this is an SLC, I will be presenting work I am most proud of, something that has shown skill or presented research, and work that has shown a growth mindset.

I will first be talking about what I am most proud of, which is the DI script I wrote, with the help of Dent. Although the scripts current state isn’t bad, the first version was very much more complicated, and well j, and as the feedback given was that it should be simpler, my group decided to pursue changing it to the audiences request. Either way, I am quite proud of what I did create, and as a writer I think it was very good, even though it was thoroughly changed; and I also thank Dent for helping me throughout all of it.

Now I will be presenting the work that has shown skill and presented research, which is my Harry Potter Blue Sky Project. I feel this has shown these things because I did a lot of research on the army, the world of Harry Potter, and I put a lot of time into doing that, and creating the script itself, I also spent quite a lot of time on the video itself too, showing that I want to put the time and effort into it.

Now I will be talking about the thing that has shown my growth mindset the most, and that is our Florida Field studies. The reason this is the thing that I feel has shown the most of my growth mindset is because I felt like I did a lot more work on it than I did on the last field studies we went to. I feel like I learnt a lot from the experience about fantasy and how to get people immersed in the world of fantasy.

I have set myself three goals for the rest of the year.
– Do more in groups
– Work harder to create better work
– Improve upon my essays from everything Mr. Featherstone has taught us

Thank you for reading this blog post, see ya 🙂

Winter Exhibition 2.0: Harry Potter

So we recently had our winter exhibition for our Harry Potter Mini Blue Sky Project, and it was pretty fun. This year we used the library because there is a lot of room, and we could have different places from Harry Potter in there as well, making it like all the places are connected, as if the library was the whole world of Harry Potter.

Our group did the forbidden forest, and we had different tables around the walls of the room for our own projects. We also had different sticks and shrubs we had found in the forrest scattered around the room to make it more realistic. We were also at the back of the library as well, which was also realistic, since the forbidden forest is out of the way, and hardly anybody goes there. Here is a picture of the forbidden Forrest:

Either way, the experience was much better than last years because we created much better environments and designs for it. I hope you enjoyed this blog post, see ya 🙂

Metaphor Machine Final Blog Post

So here we are, the end of quite an interesting project. So, we just finished our metaphor machines and the videos for them, and this is a bit of a wrap up of what we have done, and a finale to it all.

So we finished the machine and all it’s metaphors, and we managed to include a lot of  the metaphors to the machine before the deadline. We also mananged to finish the video which you can find here.

img_4594

img_4595

During the final days of the project I was basically finishing the video and doing voice overs for it, and everybody else was either helping me with video or pictures of the machine, or working on the machine itself. So yeah, there is the finale of the metaphor Machine project, and blog post. See ya 🙂

Bring Your Kid To Work Day Blog Post

So recently we had a day where most of the students parents took their child to work, so my dad took me to his work. Luckily my dad works at home, so it would be quite easy.

At the beginning of the day my Dad had to take a call, so I waited for him to finish it. After the call we went to Bean Around The World to get coffee since that’s a part of his routine. While we were there, my dad talked more about what his work was about, which is dealing with his clients, and building different IT machines.

It’s rather confusing, but basically my dad runs a business building different IT applications, and helping different companies. So after that we went back to the house so he could do some more work.

img_4326

There my dad showed me the rundown on different Applications and systems he uses for his job. He talked about how the applications are very helpful for his work, and help organize his job a little more. He also talked a little more about what his routine is, and different things he does for his work.

img_4325The overall experience was very interesting, and I learnt a lot about his work. I hope you enjoyed this blog post, see ya 🙂