This term in Humanities, for our second unit following Advertising, we have been learning about Worldview. Worldview, in a nut shell, is what people believe in, how they see the world. It includes things like geography, society, knowledge, and time. I will put a chart thingy down below that we would constantly look back on to help us through out this unit:

The first kind of “section” we worked on in this unit was worldview in general. We talked about the concepts of worldview (which are above) as well as sub categories that fit in to those. Some examples are: Values includes things like family, society includes things like friends, and geography includes things that influenced you such as mountains and oceans. We studied worldview of ourselves first. We needed to figure out the things that formed it, the important things. So to do this we made a mind map to help us narrow down and expand our ideas.

Sorry, it’s a little bit hard to read. But this is what it looks like.

Once we made the mind map we were told by our teacher to narrow it down to the three most important things to us. I found this a little bit difficult since all of the things I put down are really important to me as well as I wasn’t being specific enough, I was thinking about the big picture not the details. But I eventually figured it out and narrowed it down to these three things: family, Deep Cove, and friends. With each of these categories we had to think of a real life experience that actually happened to us, something we could share to help explain better. Once we did this it was time for the big project. Our Explain Everything. Explain Everything is an app in which you create a video, slide show type thing. It was a little bit hard to use, the app, since I had never even heard of it before but I eventually figured it out and it was actually really fun to use. After 1 or 2 drafts and a bit of debugging, I finished my final copy. Here it is!

After we finished this part of the unit, we went into a more specific part. We started learning about specifically religion. We started learning each religion one by one, starting with Aboriginal spirituality. We watched some videos and did some research on it which we later put into our common values chart. Our common values chart was a chart that had a list of religions on it and for each one, we had to include the founder, the beginnings, the present-day location, the teachings and beliefs, the sacred book, feasts, holidays, and sacred places.

To help us expand our knowledge, we went on lots of field studies, or field trips, whatever you want to call them, which were so much fun. Then we split into groups of four and each group would focus on one religion because later we would be making an infographic about a Buddhist’s Worldview. In my group, the people were Jackson, Taylor, and Kiera. I think we had a pretty awesome group. We learned each name for each special place we went to. For Judaism it is a synagogue, for Christians it is a church, for Islam it is a mosque, a gurdwara is for Sikhism, for Buddhism it’s a temple, and for Hinduism, a Hindu temple. Anyway, each time we went to one of these places, someone would tell us about the religion and then depending on the place, one of the groups would ask a few questions either for clarification, or to add to their knowledge. For our group, when we went on a field trip, our question time was at the Buddhist temple. We had created a few questions before hand. Here are some pictures!

After we had gone on all of our little trips and got all of the information we needed it was time to start the info graphic. To begin with, we learned what an infographic was, if you don’t know it is a kind of poster or image that represents data or research in a fun, easy to understand way. We watched a ton of slide shows and videos and read some articles which really helped me understand infographics more.The first thing we had to do for our infographic, was choose a them as well as our colours. We chose kind of a nature, green and brown theme since buddhists love nature and peace. Once we had done that it was time to create our wire frame. A wire frame is exactly what it sounds like, a rough sketch of ideas and who’s doing what.

Once we had gotten our wire frame approved by a teacher, we were on our way. There was one little thing that was different than everyone else’s, we actually drew almost our whole infographic by hand. This actually made it quite a bit harder since we had to make it look magazine worthy. Well, we did our first copy, we did what some of the articles said, we added icons, small amounts of text, and lots of colour and eye catchers.

But as you an see this is definitely not the best. It looks kind of sloppy, the writing is a bit hard to read, and it is kind of empty. On our next attempt, we tried turning the leaves and text to make it easier to read and we also tried a few different icons to see which ones we liked.

Again, it was still not what we wanted. It still looked pretty blank, the icons aren’t in the right spots, and it just didn’t flow. We also changed the font of the title to make it go with the theme a bit more. This time we tried putting writing in the tree branches and……

It looked really bad. The writing did not curve with the trees so it looked really choppy and messy. On this next draft, we improved ALOT!!

We made all of the font curve to the shape of the trees and the leaves and made the facts really pop out. We also added a little chart about a day in the life of a buddhist to fill the empty space. The next one we did was only changed a tad.

We changed one of the facts in the branches because we wanted them to focus more on stats and also because we were trying to figure out a way to incorporate the old fact in to it in a different way since it is very important. So we did and this is what it looked like:

TA-DAAAAAA!!!! This is the finished one. The final one. We worked so hard to get from the first one to this one. I am really proud of ourselves. This unit taught me sooooo much about religions and worldview, its mind-blowing! Before we started it, I almost knew nothing about religions, but because of all of our field trips and lessons, I now know a lot. At the beginning, we were asked a question “How is religious worldview represented in the real world?” Well, I had to do a lot of thinking to answer this question. I think it is represented a lot in art. All around you there art pieces of art that can make you aware of just how important religion is to some people. Something else that I think really represents it are all of places for religious practices. I mean, that is kind of what they are there for, but now they are everywhere for everywhere for every religion. I have learned so much in this unit and I hope you guys understand a little bit better too!

~Jordyn😁=